We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Hardy to Nanaimo

Which Port Hardy hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary
7 posts
Save Topic
Port Hardy to Nanaimo

Two of us are taking the ferry from Prince Rupert to Port Hardy in July, the ferry arrives in PH at 10.30pm. We would like to get to Nanaimo ASAP when we get off the ferry without using up the whole of the next day on Grayhound.

Is the ferry ride full of people with cars, or generally walk on pasengers? Would it be easy to get a ride south the same evening?, is this popular for backpackers or not advised??

Any assistance would be truly appreciated.

Regards,

JP

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,926 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Hardy to Nanaimo

Arriving at 10:30 p.m. (if on time), I think most travellers would be probably staying in the Port Hardy area for the night but you might get lucky and find someone who is driving onward that night. The ferry terminal at Port Hardy is a bit of a distance out of town, and accommodations tend to book up for the nights the ferry arrives which could leave you in a bit of a quandary if you are not able to find a ride.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Hardy to Nanaimo

Agree with krp -but if you ask around on the ferry before you arrive in Hardy - even check with some truckers as they will be heading south for certain. It will be a long haul though and you wouldn't arrive in Nanaimo until 3 AM all going well - then what will you do at that hour of the morning?

Calgary
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Hardy to Nanaimo

Thank you both for your responses, much appreciated and pretty much what I expected. The mate I am travelling with is from Nanaimo, but now lives in Calgary. We are hoping to get to Nanaimo early on Thursday morning and then pick up a car to head off to Tofino/Ucluelet. As I am heading back to the mainland on Sunday, I am hoping not to waste too much time in Port Hardy.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

4. Re: Port Hardy to Nanaimo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2009, 06:20