We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: Waterton and beyond

Cupertino, CA
Level Contributor
323 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report: Waterton and beyond

We had a wonderful 2+ week trip! (July 23-Aug 7) Many thanks to the TripAdvisor Forum contributors and especially to the Local Experts who tirelessly answer the same questions over and over.

I’ll break this up and post by parks but will post links to the other parts. This is part 3

Our itinerary was: Calgary (1 nt), Banff (3 nts), Jasper (3 nts), Lake Louise (2 nts), Waterton (1 nt), Many Glacier Hotel (3 nts), Lake McDonald Lodge (2 nts), Calgary (1 nt)

My dear husband (DH) and dear son (DS, 13) were along for the fun.

Here is a link to our photos on Flickr: flickr.com/photos/…

I enjoy reading detailed reports so this may be a bit long. I’ll try to include some of the little bits on info you can’t find anywhere else but on TA. If you’re interested, read on!

Cupertino, CA
Level Contributor
323 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: Waterton and beyond

We came from Lake Louise via the Kananaskis/Cowboy country. Very nice drive, almost empty roads. The mountains through the Kananaskis were pretty and I enjoyed looking at the farms and cattle along the way.

We stopped in Longview for drinks and had lunch in front of the Longview Jerky Store. We got some jerky afterwards. LOTS of people were stopping there including a lot of motorcyclists who ate their goodies at the picnic tables. I bought some Pet Jerky for my dog and a couple of other dogs I know. The guy said they used to call it Puppy Sticks until someone asked if they were made from Puppies!

This route is so much prettier than going up Hwy 2 like we did on the way back to Calgary.

We stopped for gas and Root beer floats at A+W. There are big stores like Walmart there. Good place to replenish supplies.

We stayed at the Bear Mountain Motel for 1 night. It was a good choice – cheap, clean, in the middle of everything (whenever I asked the proprietress about where things were she always said a half block this or that way.) We had 2 queens in 2 rooms with one small TV with rabbit ears and a dial to change the channel (of which there were only 2). DS got a kick out of that!

I used the Laundromat in town which is really nice. High Efficiency washers and good dryers. Cost about $5 per load though. I had a good time talking with some fellow travelers (a guy from Hawaii and a lady from Moose Jaw.)

No cell service in Waterton with ATT or TMobile but I saw someone using theirs (maybe a satellite phone?)

There were signs around town about aggressive deer attacking dogs. What kind alternate universe is this?

Tip: if the women’s washroom has a long line and your husband suggest you use the men’s, make sure he understands he needs to keep men out while you’re in there. I didn’t do that and it was pretty embarrassing when I came out of the stall!

Where we ate:

- Trappers (dinner): I wanted some Alberta Beef after driving by all the cattle. The lady at the hotel directed us there. It is kind of a family place and it wasn’t all that good (but not bad either.) Red and white wine by the glass is from a box (and didn’t taste too good.) The dinners were generously sized.

- Bagel place (breakfast): decent things for a fast, cheap breakfast

- Weiners (lunch): DS complained we hadn’t had lunch out yet on the trip (I guess all the dinners didn’t count for much!) It was packed! It’s a new place and they have some work to do to be more efficient. The food was great though, especially the smokies (made in Pincher Creek). Lots of toppings! They also had shave ice with some Hawaiian style flavors like Tigers Blood. The portions were huge!

What we did:

- We drove through the bison paddock on our way in. It’s a nice loop with lots of wild flowers. We found the group of bison about half way around. They were just lying about.

- Boat tour: good thing we bought tix early (the town was packed – long holiday weekend) The narration was very good. We got a seat up top. It was fun to cross into the US and get our passports stamped at Goat Haunt (we didn’t hike into the US though.)

- Stopped at Cameron Falls – so pretty! I liked the water coming down at an angle

- Drove out to Cameron Lake (nice drive, pretty lake) but didn’t stay long due to the crowds

- Drove out the Red Rock Canyon but you couldn’t get anywhere close because of the parking lot construction. I’d heard the shuttles were really full and slow. Next time.

- Headed across the border to Glacier National Park.

Cupertino, CA
Level Contributor
323 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report: Waterton and beyond

Links to other parts:

Banff: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154910-i220-k3858…

Jasper: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154917-i464-k3858…

Glacier: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143026-i1168-k385…

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report: Waterton and beyond

Thanks for the report, we are doing the same trip next July but spending all our time (4 nights) in Glacier at MGH.

Were you able to buy the boat tickets at Waterton online or did you have to wait till you got into town?

Cupertino, CA
Level Contributor
323 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report: Waterton and beyond

We got tickets the morning of the boat ride, about an hour and a half or so before the trip. It was a busy weekend with beautiful weather so the boat was full. You should be fine getting tickets when you get to town.

Have a wonderful trip!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
735 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report: Waterton and beyond

Thanks for posting the photos ... Just went through all of them. Brings back great memories from our own trip there this last summer. We went to many of the same places. It was interesting to see some of the hikes we wanted to do, but didn't have time for. Looks like you had a fantastic time!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report: Waterton and beyond

hahaha.... deer can get aggressive when they have their babies with them. It's not that common but it's better to warn people than to have someone end up getting caught unaware and end up injured. (And this behaviour isn't unique to Waterton deer, by the way!)

Thanks for taking the time to post a trip report. I'm happy to hear the positive feedback on Bear Mountain Motel. I think the new management there is working very hard to establish their good reputation, and it's nice to see people publicly acknowledge them for it.

I just wanted to clarify one thing in the post, for the benefit of future travellers who might use thisTR to help plan their own trip. The OP mentioned that

"We stopped for gas and Root beer floats at A+W. There are big stores like Walmart there. Good place to replenish supplies."

I believe the OP is referring to the town of Pincher Creek, about 90 miles south of Longview and about 40 miles north of Waterton park.

7. Re: Trip Report: Waterton and beyond

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2011, 08:17