We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crypt Lake Trail

brisbane
Level Contributor
49 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Crypt Lake Trail

We will be staying in Waterton in early October and are wondering if it will be too late in the season to hike the Crypt Lake trail and the Goat Haunt hike. Is the Crypt Lake trail as scary as it looks, with the tunnel and narrow walkways?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,881 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crypt Lake Trail

You may find this in-depth discussion of Crypt Lake from 2008 to be helpful:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g184841-i1389-k1767…

Sorry, I don't know what it will be like in early October; however, I believe that much of Waterton closes for the season after the Canadian Thanksgiving holiday weekend, which will be October 8-10. The cruise to access Goat Haunt ends on Sept 26:

http://www.watertoncruise.com/cruise.php#2

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crypt Lake Trail

The cruise to access Goat Haunt is also the cruise that you need to take to access the Crypt Lake trailhead; it won't be possible that late in the year, I'm afraid. :(

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
336 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crypt Lake Trail

I can't comment on the time of year but I can comment on the trail. It has a few scary moments (ESP With my slight fear of heights!) It is NOT as scary as it looks! Read my trip report from 2 years ago from Glacier National Park and I comment on that hike.

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
336 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crypt Lake Trail

I can't comment on the time of year but I can comment on the trail. It has a few scary moments (ESP With my slight fear of heights!) It is NOT as scary as it looks! Read my trip report from 2 years ago from Glacier National Park and I comment on that hike.

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
68 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crypt Lake Trail

In October, you probably could not do crypt unless you have your own boat to get there as the company that takes people over there will be shut down for the season. Having said that, there are still some great hikes you could probably do. From the townsite, you could hike Bertha Lake (good hike) or there are several other great hikes you could do. Be aware that in October you could have nice weather, or it could be be really cold. For safety, you may want to let someone in town or the warden know where you are going because you may be the only one on the trail. You could be in for a real treat, cool air, miles of scenery and only having it all to yourself! Have fun!

btw - Crypt is not scary, but very nice.

6. Re: Crypt Lake Trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 03:17