We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horseback riding in Waterton with younger kids?

Which Waterton Lakes National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Horseback riding in Waterton with younger kids?

There is an outfitter in wateron that offers short horseback riding trips (Mtn View Meadows) for kids as young as 5. Would anyone know if these trips are truly safe for kids around 6 who have no riding experience?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,521 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Horseback riding in Waterton with younger kids?

Horses are, by nature, a bit unpredictable. However, if the operator is making that offer, then I'm guessing that they have some very placid horses and that they will be led (so the horse with the child will be tied to another horse to prevent any trouble).

However, I would contact the operator directly to find out how they set it up. If the children are in charge of their own horse (so they have control of the reins), then I would be inclined to wait until they are 10 or 12 before letting them try that.

Lacombe, Canada
Level Contributor
252 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Horseback riding in Waterton with younger kids?

I would call them. They have been in the area for years and have been doing trail rides a long time. They have kids and grand kids and have had horses for at least 30 years. I would trust that they have solid horses. But, if you are first timers, for beginner comfort, a phone call or email to them would definitely be warranted.

If not, I am sure the stable in Waterton park itself would have very solid, trustworthy horses.

3. Re: Horseback riding in Waterton with younger kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 16:18