We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the rules for bear spray at Canadian customs?

Which Waterton Lakes National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
526 posts
329 reviews
Save Topic
What are the rules for bear spray at Canadian customs?

I'm planning a short overnight trip to Waterton Lakes while I visit Glacier NP, going via the Chief Mountain border crossing. I understand that some bear sprays are allowed and some aren't? What are the rules? If I'm not allowed to bring the bear spray over, can I just leave it at the Canadian customs office and pick it up on my way back down?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the rules for bear spray at Canadian customs?

The rules are in cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d19/d19-1… , page 11. Looks like bear spray should be OK, while pepper spray and other aerosols designed to be used against humans are considered prohibited weapons and would not be allowed in.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,148 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the rules for bear spray at Canadian customs?

Check out page 11, section 25 of that document ... it has to be specifically labelled as bear spray.

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
526 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the rules for bear spray at Canadian customs?

Thank you for the reference. It says "Exception: Aerosol or similar dispensers that contain substances capable of repelling or subduing animals (e.g. dog or bear repellent) are not considered prohibited weapons if:

(i) the label of the container indicates specifically that it is for use against animals only; and

(ii) the provisions of the Pest Control Products Act are met."

Any idea to what they're referring in the Pest Control Products Act?

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
526 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are the rules for bear spray at Canadian customs?

I guess that another way of asking my question is probably "Is the sale of bear spray legal in Canada?". I would think that if it's legal to buy, it's legal to bring it over...

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are the rules for bear spray at Canadian customs?

Yes, you can buy bear spray here, providing it is properly labelled. If it is labelled as (for example) "pepper spray", it is a prohibited weapon and will be confiscated at the border.

Edited: 20 July 2013, 20:26
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,148 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are the rules for bear spray at Canadian customs?

Yes, you can buy it here. A 225g canister (about 7 inches high, including the spray mechanism) costs about $40 here in Jasper.

I have taken it over the border from Canada to the USA, and then back into Canada a couple of years ago on a camping & hiking road trip. I had checked the requirements first, but on both occasions, the border agents didn't ask about it, and I didn't offer any information about having it.

7. Re: What are the rules for bear spray at Canadian customs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2014, 05:17