We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any suggestions or must sees in Brooks AB/Waterton Lakes?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
385 posts
Save Topic
Any suggestions or must sees in Brooks AB/Waterton Lakes?

Planning road trip in late Aug...1st stop Edmonton AB...plan to visit Fort Edmonton Park, Alberta Museum//Muttart Edmonton.......then on to Brooks AB...will visit Dinosaur Provincial Park, take Explorer's Bus Tour...dig for Dinosaur fossils...

on to Pincher Creek, AB...visit Waterton Lakes National Park and Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump...visit writing on stone in Provincial Park...Any suggestions or must sees would be appreciated...

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,959 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any suggestions or must sees in Brooks AB/Waterton Lakes?

Brooks is a great destination! In addition to Dinosaur Provincial Park, you can drive south through the town of Brooks to visit Kinbrook Island Provincial Park, on the shores of Lake Newell. Lake Newell is best known for its colony of American White Pelicans, one of the world's largest birds. If you see them flying, it's a lot easier to visualize the bird/dinosaur connection. Plus they are just plain awesome.

www.albertaparks.ca/kinbrook-island.aspx

Also worth a visit in the Brooks area is the Brooks Aqueduct Historic Site. This was a large aqueduct that was part of the Eastern Irrigation District during the Depression, and a section is preserved for historical reasons.

http://www.history.alberta.ca/brooksaqueduct/

Finally, if you're interested in gardening, particularly in this very dry climate, you may want to visit the gardens at the Crop Diversification Centre South:

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/opp4386

Brochure for walking tour: http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/opp4386/$FILE/walkingtour.pdf

Rose garden guide: http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/opp4386/$FILE/rosegarden.pdf

The gardens are modest, but can make a nice spot for a short break.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any suggestions or must sees in Brooks AB/Waterton Lakes?

Writing on Stone PP and Waterton Lakes NP are quite a distance apart, I hope you are aware of that. From the way your post is written it gives me the impression that you think they are close by. Having said that, Writing on Stone PP is worth the detour. Early morning and late evening when the sun is at its lowest is the best time to view the pictoglyphs.

You don't mention how much time you have for your road trip. If you have some time to spare you may want to detour south while at Waterton into Glacier NP, Montana. The Going to the Sun Road is worthy of a day trip to GNP in itself.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,959 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any suggestions or must sees in Brooks AB/Waterton Lakes?

I missed seeing Writing-On-Stone in the OP; nice catch, CG!

Although morning and evening are definitely the best for viewing the pictographs at Writing-On-Stone, I picked up a tip from an Egyptologist on TA: use a mirror placed next to the pictographs to shine sunlight sideways across them. It really works to make them "pop out" nicely! Also, a large section of the petroglyphs is only open to the public by guided tour, so you need to check the tour schedule if the petroglyphs are your main interest.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
385 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any suggestions or must sees in Brooks AB/Waterton Lakes?

Thanks for the helpful comments so far....my road trip in this area will be 10 days starting from Edmonton...have to say hello to a Trip Advisor friend in this town first, then onward to Calgary and the road trip...

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,959 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any suggestions or must sees in Brooks AB/Waterton Lakes?

I've typed "TA" once too many times. I don't know any Egyptologists on TA, but I did watch John Romer's Ancient Lives on TV. *facepalm*

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
385 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any suggestions or must sees in Brooks AB/Waterton Lakes?

Thanks again for all the suggestions...I will try to visit and see as many attractions as possible...Kind Regards...

7. Re: Any suggestions or must sees in Brooks AB/Waterton Lakes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 05:19