We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 week tour around Lake Garda

Level Contributor
18 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
3 week tour around Lake Garda

Hi,

I’m travelling from Malpensa - what is the best way to get to Lake Garda? My husband and I want to travel round the lake and stop at various places over a three week period - where should we start/finish?

9 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
18 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 week tour around Lake Garda

Can anyone advise?

Milano
Level Contributor
270 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 week tour around Lake Garda

Rent a car. This is the best option. There are several car rentals at Malpensa. Malpensa is well connected to lake of Garda and then you can easily visit the area. Do not miss Sirmione

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 week tour around Lake Garda

We enjoyed these places on the lake:

Sirmione: beautiful village with the Rocca Scaligera and Grotte di Catullo both worth a visit.

Garda and Bardolino: lovely towns connected by a lakeside path. The towns are close together but we found them different from each other.

Malcesine: Further up the lake and more mountainous. If you can, get up the cable car to Monte Baldo, the views are stunning on a clear day.

Riva: Right at the top of the lake, the main square with the Torre Apponale are fabulous.

Heller Gardens in Gardone: when we visited there were plenty of interesting sculptures mixed in the with plants etc.

Verona: Great city to visit, nice and compact. The Arena is stunning.

Have also read that Lazise, Peschiera and Torri del Benaco are worth visiting. They are on our list for our return next summer!

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,885 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 week tour around Lake Garda

You could consider staying in two different villages/towns at the lake - one in the North (perhaps Riva, Malcesine or Limone) to enable you to explore the top end of the lake and surrounds easily - and one in the South (perhaps Garda, Bardolino, Lazise or Sirmione) to enable you to explore the ‘bottom’ end and surrounds easily. That’s what I would do. The scenery is dramatically different between the North and South of the lake..

What time of year are you intending to visit?

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
7,056 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 week tour around Lake Garda

I agree with Maudsters, two destinations one north one south would be ideal for getting all around the lake in three weeks. Limone would allow you to see the north and the western shore and the Bardolino/Garda area would allow you to see the eastern and southern shores and also Verona. It’s quite a long journey from Malpensa so car hire would be your best option, it would also give you more freedom around the lake.

Level Contributor
18 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 week tour around Lake Garda

Hi,

We Visit In July - where is the best starting point from Milan?

Auckland, Auckland...
Level Contributor
5 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 week tour around Lake Garda

Hi Linzie S

We recently spent a few days driving around Lake Garda and a car is an absolute must have to see the wonderful small towns dotted around the shores of Lake Garda. Driving was pretty easy, not too busy and parking was fairly plentiful. We were there in early October.

We based ourselves at Peschiera del garda which was a nice town but not as pretty as others around the lake. Lots of restaurant options however and a market too. We stayed at Hotel San Marco which I can highly recommend. Sirmione is gorgeous but the most busy of the Garda towns. We got there early to avoid the crowds and were rewarded with a relatively peaceful wander around the town. Malcesine was my favourite, the town is very quaint and there were less people there when I visited compared to the Southern towns. The cable car up to Monte Baldo is a must do. The views are amazing and made up some of our best photos from our trip. Two pieces of advice though. We queued for almost 90 minutes to go up the cablecar but I think we arrived at prime-time (around 12:30pm). When we came back down at 4pm there was no queue. I'd suggest trying to get there early and spend some time walking when up there. There were some nice looking walking tracks. Secondly it can get quite cold up there so bring a jacket regardless of the weather below.

3 weeks is a really decent amount of time to spend so you should be able to see everything in that time. Enjoy!

Auckland, Auckland...
Level Contributor
5 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 week tour around Lake Garda

Pick up a rental from Malpensa and you could drive via Bergamo, stopping to take a look at the old town before getting to the Southern end of the Lake. Stay at one of the Southern towns first then make your way around the lake. July will be fairly busy I would imagine but you've got lots of time so take it slow.

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,885 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 week tour around Lake Garda

What do you mean by “best starting point from Milan”??

You need to decide where you want to stay, whether you are hiring a car or using public transport etc. Time to do a little research... nobody here knows the first thing about your likes & dislikes. All we know so far is you are going in July and wish to see various places around the lake.

Several suggestions have been made to give you a little guidance - but the decisions need to be yours, not ours.

Reply to: 3 week tour around Lake Garda
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lake Garda