We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling Garda in September, climbs, traffic an accomadations

McKees Rocks, PA
Level Contributor
436 posts
Save Topic
Cycling Garda in September, climbs, traffic an accomadations

I plan on cycling Garda in mid September. The plan is to cycle the East side of the lake to Riva Del Garda then take a ferry back to the South end of the lake.

What kind of traffic should I expect on the East side of the lake?

What kind of climbs should I expect? I did a profile and it does not appear to be all that bad but it would be nice to know from someone who has seen it.

Are there any bicycle paths along the shore?

Will I have any trouble finding inexpensive accommodations during that time of year? Being on a bicycle, it is very difficult to plan ahead to make reservations.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
11,883 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycling Garda in September, climbs, traffic an accomadations

Traffic may be horrendous, the road is not very wide (although fairly level) and I can't recall one meter of bike lane. Lake Garda may be a mountain bike heaven, but certainly doesn't encourage those who like to cycle on roads!

McKees Rocks, PA
Level Contributor
436 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycling Garda in September, climbs, traffic an accomadations

Thanks I have heard mixed information on the lakes. Some say terrible, others say not too bad.

What about Como and Maggiore?

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
11,883 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycling Garda in September, climbs, traffic an accomadations

I am a mountain biker, and have no experience of road cycling (I just don't like it - too scary). That said, all lakeside roads in Italy tend to have the same problem -- not very wide, winding, often heavy traffic. (If you are interested in off-road cycling, all three lakes have great trails). As for accommodation, mid Sept. will be past the summer ruxh, so I don't think you'll have any problem (except perhaps on weekends).

4. Re: Cycling Garda in September, climbs, traffic an accomadations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 03:18
Get answers to your questions about Lake Garda