We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Garda Camping

Scotland
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Garda Camping

Hi

Can anyone help us plan next years hols? After two weeks in the rain in a tent in scotland this year we really want some sunshine next time! Want to book soon to take advantage of early bird deals but unsure which campsite to go to and would really appreciate some help.

Can anyone recommend fontanelle campsite - thinking of booking a tent with Keycamp/Canvas/Eurocamp to either Fontanelle or Eden.

We have always taken our own tent before so don't know which company to choose but would like a quiet site (kids aged 9, 8 &5) which can be reached by public transport. We prefer to travel by train from the Uk and don't really want to hire a car. is this possible or will it be difficult to get shopping requirements and get around without a car.

Any help or recommendations would really be appreciated

Thanks for your time

Richard

Glasgow
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Garda Camping

Hi Richard

I'm doing the opposite. After 3 years of camping in Italy we've decided on Scotland next year. Not taking too much of a chance as I've booked a cottage.

Anyway Italy. I've been to Camping Eden twice with Canvas in 2005 and again this year. Both years we were in a caravan with a Lake View. Some of the tents also have a Lake View. Well worth the extra for just sitting out enjoying the fantastic scenery.

We've always had great weather and it is also a quite site compared to others. We've gone with our 2 girls aged 4 & 6 this year and they loved the two pools, the new waterslide, the hoopy club, swimming in the lake, taking trips on the lake by ferry etc

On the travel arrangements on both occasions we have used public transport to get around but did use the plane to get to Bergamo. Would be interested to hear how you get on travelling all the way by train. To get to Eden we got the train to Desenzano on the South of the Lake (its on the Milan-Venice line) and from there took a ferry to Portese. From the ferry terminal you are just a 5 minute walk to the campsite. The campsite is very steep so be prepared for a climb.

We found it perfectly ok not having a car although I do like my walking. The village of Portese up the hill behind the campsite has a good fruit and veg shop, butchers and deli. There is also a shop on the campsite with limited stock and a wee bit more expensive. Salo with some supermarkets is either a ferry trip away or a 30-45 minute walk.

It is a fantastic area with wonderful scenery and food and although I'm looking forward to going up North again next year, type of holiday we always used to do, I will miss Lake Garda and Italy and will probably go back in 2009.

I've rambled on enough hopefully I've been some help.

Cheers

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Garda Camping

try camping du parc in lazise, don't know if you can hire tents, don't think so but you can hire caravans, chalets etc. it's set on the lake with a pool at the top of the hill and some nights they have entertainment there too. its a 10 min walk to town. you can get the train to peschiera del garda and then a bus or a taxi will cost about £10 ish. it's a beautiful place and the food is great

West Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Garda Camping

Be careful about your view of the weather. We spent a fortnight in Garda from 18-1 September 2007 and experienced severe downpours and storms. On 20 August it rained from 11 am for the whole of the day, followed by rain starting on early evenings about 6 pm and then all night. We experienced cloud cover from 3 in the afternoon followed by the rain described above. On 30 August it rained for most of the day on and off, with hail. We escaped to Venice on that day, and there we were greeted with a cloudburst as soon as we arrived! We had previosuly been to Lake Garda and Lake Como many years ago and both times had "meditteranean weather" on both occasions. Not to be this year. It's back to Greece for us next year!

With regards to transport - you don't need a car around the lake. Public transport - bus and boat is excellent. South of Garda during our visit, it was a non-stop queue of traffic every day.

This may not be the repsonse you expected, but forewarned is forearmed and we have had a disappointing holiday between the weather and the traffic!

GB
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Garda Camping

Interesting to read your comments. We camped in Devon this year and were disappointed with poor weather and traffic so thinking of going to Lake Garda next year.

We were planning to hire a car - but may think again. How did you get to Venice without a car? How long did it take and how much did it cost (We have 3 children). How much did public transport cost to get around the lake? Our experience to date has been that it's cheaper to hire a car as can spend a fortune on transport otherwise!

Where did your kids enjoy most? We have yet to decide where to stay. Flying to Milan, but a MUST is a trip to Venice.

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Garda Camping

you can get the train to venice from peschiera del garda its direct and takes about 2 and a bit hours, cant remember how much but it was cheaper than our rail travel and much more comfortable

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Garda Camping

Hi - Camping Eden sounds wonderful - Salo at a 45 minute walk sounds a bit far in the evening! Is there anywhere else with a bar/restuarant within walking distance please - and approx how long would it take??

We went to a campsite inbetween Bardolino and Lasize three years ago and hired a car from Milan Bergano airport. It was about £140 then and we felt it was worth it for being able to nip about very easily.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Garda Camping

there are a couple of restaurants at Portese harbour, 5 minutes walk, a few in Portese, 10 minute walk , and also some in San Felice about 20 minutes walk.

At night we just went to the campsite restaurant, got takeaway in the campsite or BBQ/cooked ourself.

And yes the area is wonderful.

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Garda Camping

Hi - Thanks very much for this - very helpful. Can you also take boat trips from Portese harbour? Many thanks. Cathy

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
5,970 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake Garda Camping

Hi Cathy,

We just returned from Lake Garda. Looking at our ferry timetable, you can get to most of the other popular resorts around the lake - even as far as Riva at the 'top end'. Did you have a particular place in mind that you'd like to visit? I can give you an idea of what the boat times are this year..

Glasgow
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lake Garda Camping

Hi Cathy

Yes as already said you can get to most places but can sometimes have limited time at the destination because of the ferry timetables - they don't run much beyond 6 at night.

In our 2 visits to Portese we have travelled by Ferry to Salo, Garda,Bardolino, Sirmione and Limone. The shortest one is 10 minutes (Salo) and the longest about 2 1/2 hours from memory (Limone). It sounds long but if you just sit back and anjoy the scenery, take a picnic its a great way to travel. You can cover some of the journeys quicker by using the hydrofoil (Service Rapido), it cuts about an hour off the longer trips.

Timetable can be found here

www.lagodigardamagazine.com/index.asp…

Get answers to your questions about Lake Garda