We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay on lake garda?

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay on lake garda?

Hi

Myself and my husband (aged 30) and are planning a eurocamp holiday in late june/early july to lake garda. My parents who are in their early 50's are planning on tagging along with us. We are looking for somewhere not too quiet and close to some of the historic and cultural places. I am not particularly keen on driving abroad but dont mind some!

Any suggestions

thanks

LN Tourist

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay on lake garda?

In addion to above - I have been looking on the web and fancy the west side of the lake sonewhere like Toscolano-Maderno or Salo.

Also what are the local amenities/prices like for self catering and eating out?

thanks

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay on lake garda?

Hi

In Addition to above.

I have been looking on the web and quite facny the west side of the lake, somewhere like Toscolano-Maderno or Salo.

Also anyone any ideas of what the amenities and cost is like for self catering and also eating out?

thanks

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
160 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay on lake garda?

We have stayed twice in Lazise which is a beautiful small town on the east side of the lake. Bardolino has more going for it but it feels a little touristy. However, we felt that the west side of the lake was not as pleasant to drive around compared to the east side. However, whichever side you end up going to during June/July the gardesena route will be VERY busy during the day. We actually felt that the towns on the west side felt more remote and isolated. However, do go and visit. It's beautiful. Lazise has a beautiful campsite right on the lake and only a few metres from the centre.

Birmingham
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay on lake garda?

Definately Lazise, great choice of restaurants and shops, i've stayed there twice and can't fault it. If you do go there you should definately eat at the cafe classique which is a restaurant that sits on a platform looking over the lake. You can't miss it.

Mansfield U.K.
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay on lake garda?

Before we could advise we would have to know where the Eurocamp sites are and whether your parents wish to be in a nearby hotel or whatever.

Maderno and Salo certainly feel more Italian and the locals can be seen enjoying their ice-creams, not yet elbowed out by the jostling tourists as on the West side of the lake.

As for the driving it is quite unnecessary unless you are on a remote campsite. Frequent buses run along both sides of the lake and the great joy of Lake Garda are the batelli and hydrofoils which serve all the towns and villages each with its own distinct character offering an endless choice for days out.

Bob.

Dundee
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay on lake garda?

I stayed in Garda last year and i would recommend hiring a car.Firstly in Garda itself there is a free shuttle bus that takes you all around the town,it only has 12 seats and if it was full (i would say that half of the time it was )you then had to wait half an hour for the next one and hope you get on or walk.It also doesnt run in the afternoon..So if you are self catering it can be a pain of a walk in 90 degree heat, if you are not in the centre like we were.

In the 2 weeks we were there we saw 2 taxis.

Also the benefit of hiring a car is you can visit every town on the lake at your leisure like we did.From Malcesine to Verona and all the way to Maranello...

Glasgow
Level Contributor
28 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay on lake garda?

WE have been to Lake Garda 4 times recently. I would recommend Bardolino. It's beautiful. Nice reatuarants. plenty to do. Easy access to Motorway via Affi if you do want to go to Venice or Verona or in to the mountains. You can hire bikes and cycle to Lazise or Garda.

8. Re: where to stay on lake garda?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 17:18
Get answers to your questions about Lake Garda