We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sirmione

Ireland
Level Contributor
81 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sirmione

Hi

Myself and my partner are going to Lake Garda next week, and I was wondering if anybody has any advice on where to go and what is there to see.

We are staying in Hotel Du Parc Sirmione, and I am particularly interested on comments from people that have stayed here.

What is the nightlife in Sirmione (if any).... Does anyone have boat timetables as we would like to travel around the lake, is the boats expensive, is there anywhere you can do watersports.

We are also interested in going to Gardaland and Aqua Paradise, does anybody know how to get there from Sirmione, and also how much is this.

We are on half board with the hotel, but I did see a post that you can exchange this for lunch, as we would like to try other places in Sirmione itself.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Emer

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,316 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sirmione

Lake Garda is quite large and very different north to south. The north is much more rugged and mountainous. The south offers easy excursions to Verona.

The entire town of Sirmione is on a peninsula that juts into Lake Garda's from the lake's southern shores. The fairytale town of Sirmione has a castle with moat, Grotte di Catullo Roman ruins, thermal springs, and medieval streets. There’s not really nightlife – just restaurants for dinner and lots of people watching during La Passeggiata.

Lake Garda:

http://www.garda-lake.it/

www.frommers.com/destinations/lakegarda/

http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/lakegarda.html

Lake Garda Boat Timetables:

navigazionelaghi.it/eng/…malcesine.html

There’s great windsurfing in Riva in the north.

Active Pursuits:

frommers.com/destinations/…0739010020.html

What to see and where to go on Lake Garda:

Gargnano is a quaint, colorful, medieval village on Lake Garda's western shores, and the tiny village of Villa di Gargnano, adjacent to it, consists of one medieval street along the lake. Both villages are very picturesque.

Ferry the lake, and explore all the little towns, Malcesine, Garda, Torri del Benaco.

Malcesine has a cable car to the top of Monte Baldo.

footprintguides.com/Verona/Lago-di-Garda.php

In Desenzano del Garda a 3rd-century AD Roman villa has been discovered containing Roman mosaics.

discoveritaly.com/ArticleSite.cfm/…10678816

See Verona!!!!!

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/verona/

Visit the Valpolicella wine region.

Take the tour at the Allegrini Winery in Fumane di Valpolicella. Their wine is exquisite! They produce the top wines of the Veneto - Valpolicella, Recioto and Amarone.

Allegrini:

www.allegrini.it/allegrini_it/index.cfm…

You can also taste and buy the Allegrini wines at gorgeous Villa Giona, as well as take courses and experience fine foods and wines of the area – so well worth the visit!

Villa Giona:

www.villagiona.it/villagiona_it/pc/index.htm

Day trip to the Dolomites - stunning mountains!

frommers.com/destinations/…

Gardaland:

http://www.gardalandhotel.it/

How to Get to Gardaland:

gardalandhotel.it/…location-en.html

Restaurants in Sirmione:

frommers.com/destinations/…739_inddin.html

Lake Garda is a beautiful and very diverse lake - enjoy!

Vagabonda

Ireland
Level Contributor
81 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sirmione

Many thanks for all that information that you provided, this has given us a great idea of what to expect in Lake Garda.

If there is anybody who has stayed in Hotel du Parc, I would be greatly of your thoughts on this hotel.

There is a courtesy bus service to sirmione 4 times each way per day, but just curious if you would like to stay after 9pm in Sirmione, are the buses very frequent to get back to the hotel, and also what number bus do we need, where do we buy the tickets.

Emer

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,316 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sirmione

Prego Emer!

Have not stayed at the Hotel du Parc, but have you read the reviews?

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187842-d314153…

Best Wishes!

Vagabonda

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
63 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sirmione

Sirmione itself is lovely and there is things to do there. Walk along the path by the lake edge, lovely place to swim and relax, there is a lakeside cafe there as well. The ruins are a good way to waste an afternoon and there are many lovely restaurants in Sirmione. Gardaland is not far away and peschiera, where the water park is, is not very far away either. There will probably be organised trips picking up from your hotel to both those places so ask at reception. There isn't a railway station in Sirmione so you could catch a taxi or a bus.

For places to go, pick any of the northern towns and villages. The northern end is far prettier than the wide open southern end. Stay away from Desenzano if I were you, we spent a week there and the town was awful. If you don't mind a little bit of journey, limone and malcesine are lovely, much like Simione and there is also Garda and Riva but I haven't been there. If you want to make the most of your time in Italy and you haven't been before then you could take a day-trip to Venice. Get a taxi to desenzano station or go on an organised trip.

Hope all that helps, have a nice time. We're going back this year in July.

5. Re: Sirmione

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 03:20
Get answers to your questions about Lake Garda