We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garda or Bardolino?

Phoenix
Level Contributor
100 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Garda or Bardolino?

Hi,

My husband and I will be in Lake Garda area for 4 days, starting Oct. 10th.

Which town would be better for us to stay?

We want to be able to easily catch the ferry for the towns around the lake.

We will also have a car, so our hotel/b&b will have to have parking available.

What we are looking for is convenience and a comfortable place to stay on the lake.

Thanks for your input.

billyandme

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,021 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Garda or Bardolino?

These to Towns are both great, good for ferry connections, and are sited in a good location on the Lake, and a lot of Hotels have parking facilities,

I think you would be pleased with either, personally Bardolino would have the edge,

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,193 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Garda or Bardolino?

Perish the thought me disagreeing with an xpert,lol, but I would rather garda for the nice prom

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,021 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Garda or Bardolino?

We are all entitled to our opinions Dai !

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,193 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Garda or Bardolino?

couldn't resist it dear friend???

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Garda or Bardolino?

Bardolino is also my favourite but to be honest there's not much between them. Many hotels, certainly in Bardolino, don't have on-site car parks but some of them have spaces in an underground car park near the centre - at around 7-10 euros per day extra. Both town centres are generally traffic free and have excellent ferry and bus services.

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Garda or Bardolino?

I also prefer Bardolino.

I live near the lake and so visit often and it tends to be Bardolino over Garda.

Sorry Dai !! lol

Mansfield U.K.
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Garda or Bardolino?

I can't help making it 3-2 in extra time ! I think Garda has much more character with its pollarded trees along the prom. and old buildings in the back streets. And what about the lake-side eateries all competing for the cleanest and most colourful tables.

I hope Heather will be in time to score an equalizer.

But does this help our Billyandme ?

It just might actually,

Bob.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,237 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Garda or Bardolino?

Hi, I'm going to make it 3-3! For me the scales would tip in favour of Garda but I really don't think you'll be disappointed whichever town you choose as they are both lovely places. The ferry service is more or less the same for both towns although from the end of September the services will be slightly reduced.

By October the weather will be a bit cooler, and the winds from the lake will be slightly stronger, so, with Garda being in a bay, it will be a little more sheltered. However, if you like walking then Bardolino is probably better situated as you can walk by the lake-side path in one direction to Garda and in the other to Lazise which is a very pretty town.

I think the best thing to do is to look at the hotels/B&Bs for both places (the hotels are listed on the forum page for each town) and see what appeals to you. Some hotels will be starting to close for the season by the 10th of October so your choice may well depend on which hotels are still open. Once you have some hotel choices then we can help you to narrow it down.

9. Re: Garda or Bardolino?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Lake Garda