We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Garda - suitable for Family with young children?

Cheshire
Level Contributor
316 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Garda - suitable for Family with young children?

Hi All,

I am writing looking for advice, having never visited the Italian Lakes. We are a family with 3 young children (8,5,2) who are quite active we like cycling, canoeing, swimming, fishing etc, hence why I am considering the Lake Garda for next Summer (Aug).

Is Lake Garda family friendly, are restaurants generally accepting of young children?

What are restaurant prices like? etc...

Please advise - do we plump for this area or do we wait while the children are older?

Thanks in anticipation of your replies.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,812 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Garda - suitable for Family with young children?

I think Lake Garda could be ideal for a family with young children, we were there in June and there were a ot of families around, maybe around the Southern areas Garda and Bardolino area, a lot of reasonable eating places, ,

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,831 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Garda - suitable for Family with young children?

All Italy is family friendly and restaurants will make a fuss of young children and look after their needs very well. I have always felt when with my grandchildren in Italy that they get far better attention from waiters, whether male or female, than I ever do.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
316 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Garda - suitable for Family with young children?

Thankyou for your sppedy response.

London, England
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Garda - suitable for Family with young children?

I would also just add, having just returned from the area for the first time with the family, that it depends on your attitude to heat. It was 35 degrees plus every day (as far as I know from the few temp readings we saw) and it certainly felt it. I and the kids found it pretty hard to deal with and I know I wouldn't have wanted to cycle in it for example, although there were loads of people doing so. We managed to do lots of sightseeing but found it hardgoing in the heat. If it were me, and August, I would be tempted to go for an Austrian/Swiss lake/mountain holiday where, from previous experience, I would think it would be a bit cooler and you could have a more active holiday.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
316 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Garda - suitable for Family with young children?

Thanks Lizzie for the advice, i had not really thought of Austria, we generally Ski there and just hadn't considered it for the Summer. Where would you recommend? Around Zell am See?

Strabane
Level Contributor
563 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Garda - suitable for Family with young children?

JellybabyCheshire - we were in Lake Garda last year with a 3& 11 year old it was warm but it was brillant only we left it to late to book for this year and missed flights i would have been therer defenitaley going next year best family holiday ever I put a report on TA at the time "Bella Italia - What a holiday" which I'd say is one of many which would recommend it as a family holiday. Canvas Holidays offer air conditioning in all their mobiles whereas Eurocamp & Keycamp dont.

Good luck hope this helps.

London, England
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Garda - suitable for Family with young children?

Sorry, Jellybaby couuldn't really recommend an area, although I have been to Zell in the summer, but not for a particularly active hol, and it was lovely. If you look up any ski resort website they usually have summer sections these days and advertise all sorts of activities. Have you ever looked at Kinderhotels website? Bit pricey but they look good. Anyway, sorry folks, a bit off topic for Lake Garda. Probably only me who hates the heat anyway :).

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
12,034 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Garda - suitable for Family with young children?

I live about 4 hours from Garda and 2 hours from Zell and first went with my daughter to Lazise (lake garda) when she was aged 10 months (1993) and have returned every year ever since (also with a son 2 years younger). They love to go there. We were mostly camping but in recent years we have taken a Maxi-caravan. As We only live a few hours away we don't deal with companies so direct book. We have stayed nearly every year at Camping Spiaggia d'oro - (recent years in their maxi-caravans). The maxi-caravans all have air-con included in the daily rate and have wooden or concrete terrace (the wood ones are better IMO)- also now have a very good pool complex and animations program and cafe bar on beach. Short safe walk to Lazise town along the beach front of the campsite. Next door is Camping du Parc offering similar facilities and closer to town. In the other direction next door to Camping Spiaggia d'oro is La Quercia which is featured in eurocamp/keycamp brochures I believe. Due to the terrain round the lake many other campsites in the other larger towns can be remote from the main village/town areas or require a steep walk up the hill at the end of the evening (can also be true for some hotels).

9. Re: Lake Garda - suitable for Family with young children?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Lake Garda