We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Watching the Giro from Lake Garda

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
556 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Watching the Giro from Lake Garda

Hello

I just found out our planned days on Lake Garda will include the stage of the Giro that leaves from Limone.

I'm still leaning to Malcesine as our three night base. I'd love to see this. I believe Limone is the start in the morning. Is it even possible to cross the lake ultra early in order to see the beginning of the race? By early I mean on the ferry at 6 AM.

It would seem to me that staying in Limone might not even work because no doubt the riders have all the rooms?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,044 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Watching the Giro from Lake Garda

Hi, sorry but you won't be able to get a boat at that time in the morning - the earliest boats set off at 8.00am.

I'm sure it would be great to see the cyclists set off from Limone, but the course goes through Riva and then to Arco. Would you consider staying in Riva? If so, you could be standing at a vantage point on the Riva to Arco road when the cyclists go past. If the cyclists use a route that takes them along Viale Trento then some of the hotels in Riva may even be on the route, e.g. the Astoria Park:

www.astoriaparkhotel.it/default.aspx…

The distance they will be covering that day:

cicloweb.it/tappa/2012-05-22/16a-tappa-limon…

Edited: 10 January 2012, 13:13
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
556 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Watching the Giro from Lake Garda

Thanks!

What time to the riders take off? From that I can calculate when they go through Riva.

Is Riva a better/prettier place than Malcesine anyway?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,044 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Watching the Giro from Lake Garda

Hi, I don't know when they set off but I'm sure you'll be able to find that out nearer to the day, or once you arrive at Lake Garda.

I wouldn't say that Riva is prettier than Malcesine but it is surrounded by mountain scenery. I've stayed there several times and love the location. The town itself is flatter than both Limone and Malcesine and, as you mentioned in another thread that you were travelling with your mother, it may be a better place to be based.

There's a lovely walk along the lake-front to the town of Torbole, and there's a beautiful walk from there along the bank of the River Sarca to Arco. This is the link for Riva - you can have a look at some photos if you click on the photo link on the left side of the page.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g194883-Riva_Del_G…

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,481 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Watching the Giro from Lake Garda

Last time I watched it (Stood on the road out of Lazise) they were by in a flash. Waited ages (did have a beer in hand so no great shakes). The field is not as large as the Tour de France

5. Re: Watching the Giro from Lake Garda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2013, 10:21
Get answers to your questions about Lake Garda