We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bardolino for two weeks - where to visit?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
473 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bardolino for two weeks - where to visit?

I would be grateful of your advice and suggestions please.

I am thinking of holidaying in Lake Garda (very probably Bardolino) in June 2013.

It will probably be for two weeks (but at least 10 days) but am concerned this may be too long therefore want to have a list of places to visit during the day. Also if the ferry (or some other form of transport runs quite late) stay out in different places till early evening time if not later.

There will be some days when all we will do is relax, sunbathe and swim but I would be grateful of suggestions of places to visit/things to do in the day.

Visiting Sirmione is definitely on my list. Does anybody have a link to the details of the ferries (or is there a better way to visit other places around the lake)?

I don't wish to hire a car whilst on holiday and have been to Venice before so don't wish to visit Venice again. My thoughts are to make the very most of the time around Lake Garda.

Any suggestions very much appreciated of other places not to be missed. Good routes to walk near Bardolino to get good views. We are a healthy couple however we don't wish to walk for more than an hour maximum at anyone time. (I should add we are mid-30s but I don't really think that makes a difference it is the lovely scenery that I am looking forward to in Lake Garda).

Thank you

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
5,600 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bardolino for two weeks - where to visit?

The ferries on the lake don’t run very late, the last ones arriving/leaving Bardolino around 7pm. However, this year for the first time, there were some late evening buses in the south eastern corner of the lake but it was only from 11th June to early September. As yet it is too early to say if this evening service will operate again next year, if it doesn’t then again the last buses are around 6.30/7pm. The summer timetables won't be available until the beginning of June.

These are links for the summer 2012 timetables which might give you a better idea.

navigazionelaghi.it/file2/…202012.pdf

navigazionelaghi.it/g_download/TARIFFE%20PDF…

This is the current bus timetable, it doesn’t change too much apart from hopefully the addition of the late evening buses.

…verona.it/atv_www/…62-64.pdf

This bus travels between Verona, Peschiera del Garda and all the way up the eastern side of the lake to Riva del Garda giving you plenty of choice for day trips. Malcesine is around 1 hour from Bardolino, you can easily spend a full day there, taking the cable car to Monte Baldo for fantastic views and visiting the castle and the town.

malcesinepiu.org/lake-garda/the-castle.html

funiviedelbaldo.it/moduli/…

From Bardolino you can walk to Garda, around 45/50 mins along the lakeside path, or slightly further in the opposite direction to Lazise, in just over 1 hour. The path goes even further south to Peschiera del Garda and can be walked in sections if you choose. There is a Wine Museum, around a 40 minute uphill walk from the centre of Bardolino, and the Olive Oil Museum just outside Cisano.

http://www.museodelvino.it/it

http://www.museum.it/en/who-we-are.html

Peschiera del Garda is another interesting small town, very different to others around the lake, positioned where the lake runs out into the River Mincio.

To reach Sirmione and towns on the western side of the lake you would need to use the ferry. Salo is a pretty town with a nice lakeside promenade. Gardone Riviera has the Heller Gardens and Il Vittoriale.

http://www.hellergarden.com/link_04_en.html

http://www.vittoriale.it/

Limone at the north western end of the lake is a very pretty town built on the hillside well worth a visit but quite a long journey by ferry.

This is just on website that will give you an overview of all the different towns and what there is to do and see there.

www.lagodigardamagazine.com/gardalake.aspx

Really the list is endless, and depends on exactly what you want to do with your time. There is a large market that travels around the lake, visiting different towns each day, its in Bardolino on Thursday mornings and stretches the whole length of the lakeside.

Lake Garda is a very relaxing place, and is best enjoyed at a leisurely pace, strolling, soaking up the atmosphere, in the daytime enjoying a coffee or an ice cream whilst watching the world.

I am sure you will have wonderful time.

UK
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bardolino for two weeks - where to visit?

We were in Garda for a week this summer and it was not long enough!! There are so many lovely places to visit. We used the boats and buses to visit Bardolino, Sirmione, Garda, Malcesine and Torri. We had lovely lunches and wandered round all these beautiful places. You could also visit Verona. Next time I will visit Limone and Riva. Happy planning.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bardolino for two weeks - where to visit?

We were there in Bardolino in September and loved this very tidy and pretty town on the lake. you could walk to Garda not that far north and bus it back. The walk is along the boardwalk and then around the point and onwards. Very pleasant.

We caught the southern circular ferry as you can hop on and off anywhere within the range which is pretty good. You will find the list of circular villages you can go to on the pre mentioned ferry website. therefore we went across to Salo, known for high class shopping and then south to Sirimione and then back via Lazise a small village not far south of Bardolino.

Another day we caught the bus north to Malcesine in about 45 mins as it takes about 2 hrs on the ferry to get to this part of the lake. We walkd down to the harbour, and then afterwards caught the ferry across to Limone and then to the top of the lake to Riva del Garda, the largest town on the top end of the lake. We then had to walk 10 mins or so out of town to the bus depot to get the bus back. This area of the lake is far more dramatic as it has mountains dropping into the lake where the shores are far closer together than around Bardolino.

You can also catch the bus back over to Verona in 1 hour from Bardolino for a day out. We forewent this as one of us had been there before.

We had a lovely 2bedroom apartment only two vias away from the main piazza and the lake and ferry terminal. So handy.

Mariposa blu apartments if interested.

4. Re: Bardolino for two weeks - where to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2013, 10:15