We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Organised Day Trip - Dolomites

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
473 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Organised Day Trip - Dolomites

I see a lot of the package holiday companies offer day trips to the Dolomites.

I would like to see the Dolomites so would this tour be recommended? Or do people prefer to do this independently?

Whilst I generally like to travel independently it does some very easy and convenient to just go on the day trip which I am tempted to do.

Is it the same price in general to book this when booking a holiday or cheaper to book to go on this when in Lake Garda?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thank you

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,446 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Organised Day Trip - Dolomites

Hi, a trip to the Dolomites is definitely one that I would recommend doing as an organised excursion. You could hire a car and do it independently but then the driver doesn't get to enjoy the scenery, not to mention having to concentrate hard on the road - there are about 27 hairpin bends on the road to pass Pordoi!

As your other post, the price is the same whether booked in advance or once you get to Lake Garda. I actually think this is one trip that is better to book once you arrive and can check the local weather forecasts. You really need a good day to enjoy it properly.

More info here:

europlan.it/en/52/ourproposal/dolomites.php

This recent post may help:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…45723385

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
473 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Organised Day Trip - Dolomites

Thank you that is a great suggestion.

I will definitely wait till I get there to book this so that I can check the weather forecast.

Do you know the best way to book this when in Lake Garda? Go to the Bardolino tourist information place? (Is it open on Sunday?). Or book at my hotel?

I am travelling with Thomson so not sure if their trip is any different? Or are they all pretty much the same?

This may seem like a silly question but what is the best way to check the forecast when in Lake Garda? Checking on my iphone when there?

Thank you

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
5,585 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Organised Day Trip - Dolomites

Hello again Chorlton_Lady, this is the weather website that most of the hotels in Bardolino use, and is usually pretty accurate for the following 48 hours. The hotel always has a three day forecast on display on the Reception desk. You just need to change the name of the Comune/Localita as appropriate.

http://www.ilmeteo.it/meteo/Bardolino?c=522

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,446 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Organised Day Trip - Dolomites

Hi, if you are travelling with Thomson then you will have a welcome meeting when you will be given information about the resort as well as the opportunity to book excursions. The meeting is usually the morning after you arrive (although I believe it can sometimes be the evening of arrival day) so hopefully you will be able to check the forecast beforehand. As Tepore said, most hotels will have a weather forecast at reception, and it is usually for a few days ahead.

If you feel that the meeting is too soon to make a decision then you can contact your rep at a later stage during your holiday to book the trip. You'll be given a contact phone number for him/her on arrival.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
473 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Organised Day Trip - Dolomites

Thank you tepore.

What would the nearest Comune/Localita to select for the Dolomites please as I don't see the Dolomites listed from the drop down list?

Edited: 19 January 2013, 17:26
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
473 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Organised Day Trip - Dolomites

Thank you Scozzese.

I will probably book with Thomson when I get there. Either in the initial meeting or a few days later.

I see that most trips to the Dolomites tend to be on either a Monday or a Thursday. However, I have read that some places are closed on a Monday in Italy. Are these mainly religious places that are closed?

Ideally I think I would prefer to do this trip on a Monday but if I do this is there anything I would find closed on the Dolomites trip?

I know some people may say, well be on the safe side go on a Thursday instead but I've got lots of ideas for my day trips so will probably be off out for the day somewhere else on the Thursday.

Thank you

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,446 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Organised Day Trip - Dolomites

Hi, a Monday would actually be a good day to go on the Dolomite excursion. Going somewhere like Verona on a Monday could be a problem as some of the main attractions - the Arena, Juliet's House etc - are only open on Monday afternoons. Similarly, the museum at Il Vittoriale in Gardone isn't open on Mondays although the grounds/gardens will be open.

The Dolomite trip doesn't really include going "in" anywhere so you don't need to worry about anything being closed.

Basically what you will do is stop in a couple of little alpine villages on the way there and the way back. Last time I did it we stopped in Ortisei on the way where we had enough time to have a hot chocolate and apple strudel (it was a cold day!) as well as a look around the town and some shops. On the way back we stopped in Canazei (briefly) as well as Moena.

Obviously you would like it to be a nice sunny day to enjoy the alpine scenery but it's when you get up to Pass Pordoi that it becomes an issue. The main part of the excursion is spent at Pass Pordoi where you have the chance to go up to the top of Sass Pordoi in the cable car. It's just a short ride up, but if you get out of the coach and can't see the top cable car station because of cloud or mist then there's no point going up! Where you get out the coach though there are some restaurants and a couple of shops right there so it's never a wasted journey, but it's so much more enjoyable on a bright sunny day.

Is it June that you are going? I would advise taking warm clothes even in June as it can get quite cold in the mountains. Last time I did the Dolomite excursion it was about 25-26 degrees C at the lake, in Ortisei it was 6 degrees C and right up in the mountains it was 2 degrees C with fresh snow!

As far as the weather forecast is concerned, if you want to look specifically at the Dolomite region, you will have to put Trentino Alto Adige in the "Regione" box, then Bolzano in the "Provincia" box followed by Ortisei or Selva di Val Gardena etc in the "Comune/Località" box.

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
5,585 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Organised Day Trip - Dolomites

Just for your information, -around the lake anywhere between Peschiera and Malcesine is in Regione of Veneto, Provincia of Verona. From Sirmione, Desenzano to Limone the Regione is Lombardia, Provincia of Brescia. Riva and Torbole and north of the lake the Regione is Trentino Alto Adige, Provincia of Trento.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
473 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Organised Day Trip - Dolomites

Thank you both very much, that is very useful information.

Yes Scozzese I am travelling to Lake Garda in June and will definitely make sure I take some warm clothes on that trip.

10. Re: Organised Day Trip - Dolomites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2014, 05:18