We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three Days in October by Car

Miami Beach
Level Contributor
155 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Three Days in October by Car

Hi, We arrive in Milan on October 23 and are renting a car to drive to Venice. We need to be there on October 28. In-between, we plan to visit mostly Lake Garda. I have looked through posts but I am still a bit confused and unsure of where our best place to stay would be. I am thinking either Garda, Bardolino, Sirmione or Desenzano. Are these good choices? Anyone more recommended?

I looked at the website for the ferries and it looks like they close down early October. Is this correct, or are there other ferries still working late October?

Finally, how long does it take to drive around the whole lake?

Anything we should not miss on this drive? I have been to Verona before but thinking of going back. Thanks. Margarita

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three Days in October by Car

Desenzano town is open and lively all year, smaller towns aren't. I'd stay in Desenzano and you can do day trip to Sirmione or to other villages.

A little tip: if you like thermae there are natural spa in Sirmione and in Cola' di Lazise, bring your swimsuits.

http://www.termedisirmione.com/home.jsp

villadeicedri.it/eng/parco_main_prova.html

Miami Beach
Level Contributor
155 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three Days in October by Car

Great idea, thanks.

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three Days in October by Car

All the main towns around the lake are 'open' at the end of October, and still have a lot of visitors around. We have found it still quite busy at the very end of the month with just a few hotels beginning to close from the middle of the month. Its a lovely time of year to visit the lake.

Ferries will still be running but the new timetable won't be available until some time in September. There are not as many services as there are in summer but still enough to get you around. This is the timetable from last year which will give you an idea of routes and times.

navigazionelaghi.it/file/…202012-2013.pdf

Allow around 3 hours to drive right around the lake, Don't miss Monte Baldo at Malcesine, you should get some really clear views at that time of year.

Bardolino and Garda would be good choices, being in a good position to get around the lake easily.

Edited: 07 August 2013, 17:39
Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three Days in October by Car

I was in Bardolino last year at the end of October and lots of bars and restaurants were closed, we didn't care because we can do whenever we want because it's an hour drive from where we live.

If I had to take a plane and get there I should have been a little upset.

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three Days in October by Car

Thats certainly not been my experience. Hotels out of towns were closed, as were some restaurants but those in the town centre and along the lakeside were open. There are not as many people around later in the evenings, they mostly sem to stay in their hotels, but early evenings were quite busy. Its one of my favourite times of year at the lake and I have never been disappointed.

Miami Beach
Level Contributor
155 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three Days in October by Car

Thank you both for all the helpful information. I will now look for a hotel in one of the named cities and relax after that. I think it is going to be wonderful. I lived in Italy for 7 months 2010/11 but never had a chance to get off work and make it up there.

Miami Beach
Level Contributor
155 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Three Days in October by Car

One last question: in the towns, do you recommend staying in the middle of town or on the countryside? See places with great reviews at both locations, but unsure as to what is preferable. Thanks again.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Three Days in October by Car

It only depends on your budget, if staying in town check hotel's parking facilities.

Miami Beach
Level Contributor
155 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Three Days in October by Car

Thanks. Budget aside, what is better. Yes, I am checking on parking because that is really important to us. I have found both, in city and on the countryside, but not sure how that will affect our travels both around the lake and on the main road to Verona, etc.

I am thinking that we will go in to Bergamo on the way in, And to Verona on the way to Venice. Does that make sense?

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,371 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Three Days in October by Car

Taking the time of year into consideration I would go for hotels in the towns but do make sure they have car parks. Some hotels have off-site parking and often this is charged extra.

In Bardolino the Parc Germano has a large free car park and is a 15 minute walk from the centre of town, but has lovely views across the lake.

Get answers to your questions about Lake Garda