We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lake garda as base

mumbai
Level Contributor
166 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
lake garda as base

Is it possible to stay in lake garda for 6-7 nights and do day trips to gardaland, verona and venice along with lake garda sight seeing? I wanted a base for the above destinations and thought of lake garda as one. Is public transport good enough for the above plan or will hiring a car be more comfortable?

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,558 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lake garda as base

I wouldn't. Just too much traveling. Stay in Venice and Verona as well.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
1,692 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lake garda as base

Tha car is more confortable if you wish to stay lake garda sight seeing, and Sirmione is a very good place

Othewise if you stay in Verrona you cold go to Venice by train

Durham
Level Contributor
4,467 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lake garda as base

Venice is only 90 minutes from Desenzano by train and the train is a lot more relaxing than driving. I think you could stay on the south of the Lake and do those trips.

mumbai
Level Contributor
166 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lake garda as base

Thanks but on second thought, I am planning to stay in Padua, that way I could do all venice, garda, verona, and gardaland which will all be short trips. Does that seem like a good idea?

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
5,453 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lake garda as base

There is no problem with staying in the south of Lake Garda and doing all the trips you mention, either by car or public transport. There is a train from Peschiera del Garda to Venice or in the summer months there is a bus that travels on three days a week between Riva del Garda and all towns on the eastern shore to Venice, leaving early morning and returning in the evening. Also from all towns on the eastern shore, between Peschiera and Riva del Garda there is a bus directly to Verona which also stops at Gardaland. You would also still have a few other days to see more of Lake Garda either by bus or ferry.

mumbai
Level Contributor
166 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lake garda as base

Oh thanks for the info. That would make for a much more beautiful stay I suppose than staying at Padua. I will definitely re consider. Thanks for the tip. Any reasonable hotel/b and b in garda right on the lake with awesome views you could recommend?

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
5,453 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lake garda as base

Depends what you consider to be 'reasonable', lakeside hotels tend to be more expensive, and when exactly you will be going. You could look at the Bellevue Hotel ( part of the Du Lac et Bellevue) or the Hotel Campagnola both on the lakeside in Bardolino.

http://www.hoteldulacbellevue.com

http://www.hcampagnola.com/en/

mumbai
Level Contributor
166 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lake garda as base

thanks a lot

9. Re: lake garda as base

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2014, 06:20