We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

organised trip or go it alone

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
104 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
organised trip or go it alone

can you please advise us I know there are two ways of looking at anything but in most peoples opinion which is the best idea going on an organised trip or going it alone. We will have a week.

If you go on a trip I know your trips are organised for you but you don't get long in the places and you don't chose your hotel but then again it is organised, what does anyone think. Totally confused. Please advise, thank you.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: organised trip or go it alone

This decision should be based on how you have traveled in the past. If you enjoy being in control of your holidays and have the time to spend time on these forums and other websites for planning purposes, then you should continue doing your own holiday planning.

If you have used organized tours in the past, then switching to your own planning may be a problem and frustrating.

All of these forums provide excellent travel planning ideas and are so helpful to many people. However, it is not everybody's cup of tea.

Have fun with your holiday planning

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: organised trip or go it alone

Why don't you go on a package holiday rather than an organised tour, the company arranges flights and the hotel and usually a transfer to the accommodation. This transfer is very useful if you're staying in the northern part of the lake.

Get a few brochures and compare prices, resorts and hotels. When you've found something you like the look of come back to the forum and I'm sure people here will offer advice.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: organised trip or go it alone

I meant to add that you always have the opportunity to do day trips if you wished. Also, the lake has a good ferry service which means you could explore different towns.

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
5,349 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: organised trip or go it alone

It really depends on how confident you are to organise the holiday and then travel on your own. Aer Lingus fly to Verona, which is the closest airport to the lake making transfers to the southern towns relatively quick and easy either by car or public transport, many hotels in the Bardolino/Garda area offer reasonable and sometimes free transfers. However, the journey to the northern towns can take 2-3 by public transpsort and private transfers are very expensive. We stopped using Package Holidays over 10 years ago and never even consider using them now. We always hire a car which makes the airport transfers easier and quicker and gives us much more freedom for travelling around whilst on holiday. You will find that you have a much bigger and better choice of hotels, and you are able to choose exactly what type of room, its position etc. and usually get it, often without paying the extra supplements levied by the travel companies.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,200 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: organised trip or go it alone

Hi, when would you be going?

As Ladybracknell said above, package holidays and organised tours are not the same.

We have always gone to Lake Garda on package holidays and have always enjoyed them. We don't have the option of arranging flights and hotels independently as we are limited with where we can fly to from Scottish airports. Hopefully that will change from next summer but, if not, we will continue to book package deals.

What choices do you have from Dublin? I don't think the usual package holiday companies - Thomson Lakes and Mountains, Crystal Summer and Inghams Lakes and Mountains - have options from Dublin but you can fly with them to Verona from Belfast. Your flight, hotel and coach transfer would all be included. Basically, they take you to your hotel and you are left to your own devices for the week although you can book a variety of excursions if you choose. The hotel choices are obviously limited to what they have in the brochures but there are options suiting most tastes/budgets.

Organised tours are different in that they - as well as flying you to the destination airport and taking you to your accommodation - will take you on excursions (with a tour guide) most days which are included in the overall price. We used Riviera Travel a few months ago to go to Spain and would definitely recommend them. They offer a tour to Lake Garda, Verona and Venice and they offer flights from Dublin:

rivieratravel.co.uk/european-tours/lake-gard…

The resort and hotel choice is very limited but you can check out the hotel reviews here on TA. (I just checked their accommodation in Riva del Garda and I have actually stayed in two of the hotels - the Savoy Palace and the Europa. I would happily stay in either one again).

Arranging everything independently can often be the cheapest option and you can choose exactly where you want to stay and in which hotel. However, it depends how confident you feel about either using public transport or hiring a car to get to your accommodation.

There are pros and cons with all options. The independent arrangement gives you freedom but there is no back-up if something goes wrong. The organised tour can be limiting but you will have a guide every day and someone on hand if there's a problem.

For a first visit the package holiday may be the best option, allowing you to do what you want every day but with a holiday rep in case you need any help or advice. Once you've been to the lake with a package holiday or organised tour you may feel confident about arranging everything yourself for a second visit. ;)

dundee
Level Contributor
551 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: organised trip or go it alone

Hi - I was in a similar quandary this year as it was our first trip to Lake Garda - and usually when it somewhere new I opt for package in order to suss things out. However with a couple of helpful hints from this forum ended up booking a flight from Scotland via Jet2 to Verona and booking a hotel via booking.com to Malcesine and the hotel organises the transfer from the airport to the hotel (as it appears most of them do). I rarely use tour operator trips - they are usually much more expensive than doing yourself - and you have control on what you see and do. We intend going to Verona as it is a very easy trip to do by bus from anywhere on the lake - another hint from the forum. Also Venice - this is slightly more complicated - and there are set organised trips from the lake or you can do it all by yourself with a fair bit of planning.

By not going package we have paid half what we would have to a package holiday company - the hotel we picked is used by a tour company - so it has a proven track record - but would have used tripadvisor anyway to check the reviews

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,001 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: organised trip or go it alone

my vote would be DIY. Lake Garda is not the cheapest of places but the brochure prices are extremely steep. With a bit of research, you could save money and be much more flexible on dates and stuff.

8. Re: organised trip or go it alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Lake Garda