We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July Holiday

Galway
Level Contributor
17 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
July Holiday

Hi! :)

I am planning a holiday to Lake Garda in July this year for a week.

I am looking for advice on what will be the best way to spend this week. Should we stay in one hotel in one resort. OR rent a car and spend a night or two in a few different resorts while travelling around the lake. I would also like to visit Verona and/or Venice while we are there too. But I know it may not be possible to do all this in just one week.

We have never driven in Italy before and I am a little bit apprehensive about it but my boyfriend is not so he would be the one driving.

I usually like to do and see lots when on holidays rather than just sitting by the pool or beach.

I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thanks in Advance:)

KA

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
6,107 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July Holiday

One hotel should be fine for a week, otherwise you will be wasting a day packing, unpacking and travelling. Its quite easy to get around the lake, especially if you have a car. Particularly as you want to visit Verona and Venice then it would make sense to stay somewhere in the south. The south eastern corner of the lake, Garda, Bardolino, Lazise, has good transports links, both ferries and buses. There is a direct both to Verona and Venie - the latter only running on three days of the week.

Which airport will you be arriving at? Its only a 30 minute drive from Verona to the south of the lake but many hotels in this area will arrange reasonably priced transfers for you. Milan Bergamo is further away but still only around 75/90 minutes to the lake and a fairly easy drive being motorway for most of the way. By public transport this journey involves trains and buses.

There is really on one road around the lake to its quite straightforward, the road does get busy at certain times of the day and this obviously slows down the traffic. There are large car parks in all the main towns but it would be advisable to have a hotel that has its own parking facilities.

The north has the mountains, water sports and outdoor activities but the journey times from airports, Verona and Venice are much longer.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,069 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July Holiday

Hi, I would agree that the south-east is a good base for travelling all around the lake as well as to Verona and Venice. In the summer months there are two car ferries that cross the lake, one between Torri del Benaco and Maderno and the other between Malcesine and Limone.

As Tepore said, there's a bus to Venice from the eastern-shore towns on three days a week, but you can also use the train any day of the week to get to Venice from Peschiera at the far south-east corner of the lake.

mantova
Level Contributor
150 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July Holiday

I live about 1 hour from lake of Garda and I completely agree with the previous posts.

I just wuold like to say that in summer time the streets around the lake are very crowded, but nothing that could impress you. Just try to take your way early in the morning.

Haven't you consider the possibility of rent a motorcycle? it could be easier for you to go from place to place and it could be even more funny! Here it's almost usual for young people to go for a day ride all around the Lake of Garda with the motorbike! You can stop almost wherever you want and feel the lake breeze and the warm sun!

London
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July Holiday

When we spent a week on Lake Garda in July we stayed in Sirmione. Every day we were out and about whether it was to Verona, Venice, a trip around the entire lake, Dolomites, boat trips, markets etc. Everywhere seemed very accessible without a car.

Have a great trip.

5. Re: July Holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Lake Garda
Recent Conversations