We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy newbie hoping for a little guidance

Carlisle, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Italy newbie hoping for a little guidance

Hello, me and my bf are wanting to visit Italy in September for a week and we're thinking about Lake Garda. I appreciate it's going to be more expensive than a cheap week in Spain but I don't want to go overboard on price.

We ideally want somewhere that is quite touristy with cafes and restaurants to eat in on an evening without being too far off the beaten track. We're not bothered about a poolside or beach holiday but we do want to enjoy the good weather we would probably spend our days walking around the local area, stopping in bars and cafes for refreshments and taking in the scenery and culture. We would be interested in hiring bikes for a day or two and possibly taking a day trip or two.

I mainly want to know the main tourist areas so I don't book somewhere too quiet or off the beaten track.

And although we're looking at lake garda, any suggestions of other areas that would fit the above criteria would be great.

Thanks in advance!!

mantova
Level Contributor
150 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy newbie hoping for a little guidance

Well, I think that Desenzano is the most fashionable place to stay at Lake of Garda.

But if you want to admire the beauty of the lake as well, you might stop in Sirmione or Bardolino or Malcesine or Torri del Benaco

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
5,452 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy newbie hoping for a little guidance

Hi, Garda or Bardolino would ideal, having everything you seem to want and very easy for getting around the lake. Both towns have numerous restaurants, cafes and bars, lakeside paths, nice promenades and as well as being able to get to Verona and even Venice if you so wish. Most hotels offer bike hire and there are also bike hike shops in the towns. There is a flat lakeside cycle/footpath stretching from Garda through Bardolino and down to Lazise.

Edited: 14 April 2014, 09:36
Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,345 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy newbie hoping for a little guidance

Hi, I agree with the suggestions of Garda and Bardolino especially if you are planning to hire bikes. You could also consider Riva del Garda which is the second-largest town on the lake. There's a lakeside cycle path to the next town of Torbole and from there another cycle path to the very pretty town of Arco.

You asked for suggestions for other areas of Italy that would fit your criteria of touristy, scenic and with lots of cafes and restaurants. Sorrento would fit the bill although in my experience it's a little more expensive than lake Garda.

4. Re: Italy newbie hoping for a little guidance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2015, 05:16