We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport, buses to and from Peschiera

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Public transport, buses to and from Peschiera

Hi all, I'm Cammy from Glasgow. We, family of 6, are staying in Altomincio family park for two weeks early July. Car hire is advisable but don't really want to spend close to 1000 - 1500 Euro to hire a car for the duration.

Which brings me to my questions? Anyone any experience of staying at Altomincio without a car? Is it really too far to walk occasionally into Peschiera? Where is the best place to hire bikes, preferably off site, which maybe cheaper?

I notice the bus line 46 stops kinda close to the campsite, at Mozambano. It looks like a bus to and from Peschiera almost hourly up until half 6 in the evening (I think this is the case as the apam.it website is in Italian and my grasp of the language isn't too good just yet) - can someone with more knowledge confirm this and possibly suggest other alternative bus services close to getting to and from Peschiera and Altomincio?

Are there taxis available to flag on the street? I just don't want to spend all that cash on a hire car to get around on holiday, especially as I'll be hoping to sample some gorgeous Italian red wine with my evening meal some nights.

We have stayed in similar accommodation in Cambrills and Estartit and found shopping offsite in larger supermarkets much more cost effective - has anyone got any advice on supermarkets close to the campsite?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated folks.

Have a nice day.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport, buses to and from Peschiera

Hi just wondering how you got on at this park we are looking to book next year also without a car. Did your find the location ok and was their a town nearby within walking distance. Any tips etc would be appreciated

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport, buses to and from Peschiera

Hi Susan. We thoroughly enjoyed our time there and can honestly say didn't really miss not having a car. Public transport around Altomincio is limited - there is a bus stop 20 mins walk along the river which will take you into peschiera and from there you can easily travel all around lake Garda by bus or boat and on to verona and venice with ease.

The walk to the bus stop is about a mile from your mobile home front door to the bus stop. It's quite a beautiful walk along the river mincio cycle path - there is also a martinelli supermarket there, it's a small village called Monzambano. There are quite a few local restaurants in Monzambano and salionze(another small sleepy town) within easy walking distance from Altomincio.

There is a vineyard right next to the holiday park where you can purchase local wines and oils for very good prices.

We found that you can also hire the campsites 'shuttle bus' and as a guide it costs 7 euro per person for a return into peschiera. The downside of this is that it can be booked out and we found a couple of times there was only a limited allocated time we could book our return to Altomincio. After a few days we found that hiring a taxi to take us back and forth to peschiera was cheaper and more flexible. As there were 6 of us it worked out at 42 euro for a return on Altomincio shuttle but only between 18 and 20 euro each way in a taxi. Another plus of the taxi was we could just phone them whenever we needed them and they would come as opposed to having to prebook both our journeys with the shuttle bus.

The 46 bus costs 7 euro per adult to get into peschiera from Monzambano, so 14 for a return, but the bus prices from peschiera to say Garda, Bardolino or verona are great value. Unfortunately the 46 bus isn't very frequent, and the last bus back from peschiera that goes to Monzambano is 7pm.

Overall, I would go again and similarly wouldn't bother hiring a car. We got to see everything we wanted to and although we spend a bit on public transport, it's a fraction of the cost hiring a car would've been.

You can hire bikes and cycle into peschiera, one night my wife and I walked back to Altomincio from there - it is such a stunning walk along the riverside... Only took us an hour and helped us walk off the splendid meal we'd just enjoyed.

Go for it, it's been our best holiday so far. Any other questions I can help you with, just ask...

Downpatrick, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport, buses to and from Peschiera

hi very useful information thanks as there are also 6 of us going on 26th, wondering what airport did you travel from we had to book from bergamo

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport, buses to and from Peschiera

Thank you so much for your reply and added info much appreciated

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport, buses to and from Peschiera

Hi, there are four of us travelling from Bergamo Airport to Torbole, Lake Gardia on 28thSeptember, staying at the resort for three nights. Can someone tell us the best way to get to Torbole from the airport by public transport, how long it takes and the cost of travel. The alternative is to hire a car, but could you tell us about parking costs at the resort, as the hotel doesn't having parking facilities. John

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
5,444 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transport, buses to and from Peschiera

Hi unfortunately this is journey is neither quick nor easy. You would need take the shuttle bus to Bergamo, then train to Peschiera del Garda, taking around 2 hrs. altogether. You then need to take a bus to Garda

…verona.it/atv_www/orari_extraurb/pdf/183.pdf

then a second bus or taxi to Torbole

…verona.it/atv_www/orari_extraurb/pdf/184.pdf

Your overall journey time could well be between 3-4 hours depending on connection times etc.

Even if you have to pay for car parking for 3 nights I would still go for car hire, especially if the cost is going to be shared.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transport, buses to and from Peschiera

Thank you very much for your advice. Probably will hire a car.

8. Re: Public transport, buses to and from Peschiera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2015, 06:16