We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wow, just back from Lake Garda!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Wow, just back from Lake Garda!

Just back from a fantastic week at Lake Garda with my friend. It was my first visit to the lake and we stayed in Garda town. When I was researching what to do around the lake, I was overwhelmed as there was so many things to do and places to visit. I imagined visiting all the little towns around the lake but we struck gold staying in Garda town ( for what we wanted, we're in our 30s and like a mix of relaxation, eating out and outdoor adventure - not big into clubs and late bars though, so Garda was good for us). Garda town has a lovely chilled-out vibe, not as touristy as the other towns ( well of course it's touristy in August, but compared to the others, it has a nicer feel) It's very pretty, lovely old town with some good restaurants and it is enclosed in its own pretty little bay. I read Bardolino town was fantastic but I walked there one day and I must say I liked Garda more. Only passed Lazise on the ferry and by bus, it looks lovely too. I'm usually up for a bit of adventure but in the end I took the advice of some of our Lake Garda experts here, and just relaxed taking in the views, chilling by the pebble beach, swimming, boat trips, peddle boating, eating Italian cuisine & gelato and sipping Prosecco and Bardolino wine (€2.50 a glass, cheaper than a glass of coke ;-)) around Garda town. Bus transport to and from Garda is fantastic, there's even a bus that goes all the way to the airport in Verona!

We visited Sirmione by ferry and Malcesine by bus - both beautiful! Going up the cable car to Monte Baldo at Malcesine is a must!! We were very lucky with the weather that day, clear and sunny, sometimes the weather was a bit hazy ( there were some fantastic thunder & lightning storms at night). However, we got caught in a 2hour queue at the cable car - awful! (didn't know you could pre-book the tickets to avoid nightmarish queue). So be warned!!! It was still worth it, stunning views and even though it was really sunny up there, a huge cloud came by and surrounded us but moved swiftly on again. Really spooky! Lots of para-gliders taking off from the mountain. Malcesine is very magical - very Austrian feel about it but it's very touristy. We had planned to go to Riva and Limone but never made it there - not enough time!

Our flight arrived into Verona late, so we spent our first night there and explored the city the next day before heading to the lake . It's so easy to get to Verona from the lake so I wouldn't bother doing any 'planned day-trips', just do it independently. It's a small city, so you can see a lot in half a day. It's beautiful! The bus fare is about €4. We went to the opera in the Arena- absolutely spectacular - Verdi's Aida. We got tickets for about €26, on the stone steps with a cushion and had a great view. Don't bother spending any more than this on a ticket! We could see everything! It's a must!

We also went to Gardaland for a laugh. We went at night (or after 6pm) as it's half-price €16 and there are no big queues for the rides. Definitely a good choice! It's also quite magical at night and easy to get to from Garda by bus. Still haven't recovered from those roller-coasters though - Yikes!

I will definitely return again to explore more of the lake sometime. We had an incredible time, everyone was so friendly, especially the waiters ha ha.... that's the irresistible Italian charm :-) I would also stay in Garda again as it's a great base for seeing other parts of the lake. If you're into something more lively or have children, the southern towns of the lake are probably better.

Thanks to all the experts here Tepore and Scozzee (sorry wrong spelling) for all the tips you gave me. I've fallen in love with the place and can't wait to return again some day :-)

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,332 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wow, just back from Lake Garda!

I would agree with all you say , Lake Garda certainly has so much to offer,

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
6,107 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wow, just back from Lake Garda!

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip to Lake Garda, it sounds as though it could be the first of many.

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wow, just back from Lake Garda!

Great post - I share your enthusiasm! We never get tired of visiting Lake Garda - and it looks like you'll be a 'regular' too!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,069 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wow, just back from Lake Garda!

Hi, thanks for a great trip report! Pleased to hear you had a great time and that you are already planning to return to the lake.

Ireland
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wow, just back from Lake Garda!

Thanks folks! I found this forum really helpful before I went. Can't wait to return again.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wow, just back from Lake Garda!

Thanks for your report, I'm really glad you enjoyed Garda and your tips will help others planning the same trip.

Gisborne, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wow, just back from Lake Garda!

Great information here, sounds like you had a blast! Your final comment about going to one of the Southern towns perhaps if you were travelling with children; We are travelling with our 15 year old daughter so gardaland sounds fun. Was there any particular southern town you might recommend please? Thanks!

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wow, just back from Lake Garda!

Thanks for your detailed and informative post! I too am in my 30s and like a mixture of adventure and relaxation, and have just booked my trip for Lake Garda with my boyfriend. We weren't sure where to stay on the lake, but you more or less cemented Garda for us.

We are flying in to Verona, but don't get in till 9pm. We weren't sure how late the bus goes from Verona to Garda, and whether we get it from Verona airport to Garda, or from central Verona to Garda. We have booked the first night in Verona, though can cancel it if need be. Do you know?

We think we will walk to Bardolino too and maybe on to Lazise for some exercise one day.

Thanks for your post.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,069 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wow, just back from Lake Garda!

Hi Kate, when will you be travelling? The current bus timetables are only in effect until Sept 14th - we don't know yet what will change (if anything) after that date.

You will miss the bus from the airport to Garda at 20.55, and the next (and last of the evening) is at 23.25 and only goes as far as Peschiera:

…verona.it/atv_www/orari_extraurb/pdf/164.pdf

It arrives at Peschiera at 00.01 and there is another bus from Peschiera to Garda at 00.11:

…verona.it/atv_www/orari_extraurb/pdf/183.pdf

It is always worth asking your hotel if they offer a transfer service from the airport. You can then compare the cost with what you would spend on an overnight stay in Verona.

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
6,107 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wow, just back from Lake Garda!

Hi, when will you be travelling to the Lake? At the moment there is a direct bus between the airport and Garda but unfortunately the last bus is at 20:55 though hopefully it might be useful for your journey back to the airport. However the bus schedules are due to change on the 15th September so until then we can't be sure exactly what the timetables will be, or indeed if this service will continue over the winter months. Have you checked if your hotel can arrange a transfer for you, some hotels offer this service at reasonable rates so its always worth asking.

Currently there are three bus services from Verona to Garda, but again these will change in the next couple of weeks. These are the timetables operating now

…verona.it/atv_www/orari_extraurb/pdf/162.pdf

…verona.it/atv_www/orari_extraurb/pdf/163.pdf

…verona.it/atv_www/orari_extraurb/pdf/205.pdf

Edited: 31 August 2014, 16:46
Get answers to your questions about Lake Garda
Recent Conversations