We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Plaka, Elounda or Agios Nikolaos

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Plaka, Elounda or Agios Nikolaos

Having made a short visit to Crete (to see Phaistos, Agia Triada, Gortyn and Knossos) earlier this year, I'd now like to go back for a slightly more leisurely trip, in September or October.

I'd like to visit the Minoan sites at Malia and Zakros, to go Plaka and Spinalonga, and to spend some time in Agios Nikolaos and maybe Elounda. I'm not sure how long I'll be there - 5 or 6 days, maybe. My intention would be to fly into Heraklion and hire a car.

I don't know yet if I'll be getting a hotel or looking for something self-catering.

I'll be travelling solo, and have no wish to be surrounded by all-night partying loud herberts.

Is it realistic to base myself in Plaka, or will I be better off in a larger place like Elounda or Agios Nikolaos?

Edited: 19 June 2011, 10:55
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,414 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Plaka, Elounda or Agios Nikolaos

Hi there

I would say that it depends on whether you are hiring a car or not, if you are then yes it would be fine to stay in Plaka, but it is very quiet in Plaka, just a few tavernas - so very low key in the evening.

If you are going to be using the buses then I would definately stay in Agios, as it will be just so much easier to get to the various destinations that you have mentioned, and dont worry about the " all night loud herberts" you find these in Plaka, Elounda or Agios lol

Also if you do decide to stay middle to late October, I would also choose Agios - Agios is a working Greek town so open all year, whereas Plaka and Elounda may well be starting to "close down" towards the end of the season.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Plaka, Elounda or Agios Nikolaos

Cheers. I'll almost certainly hire a car. Quiet is good. I take your point about later in the season.

I'll see if I can do this at the end of September and stay in Plaka, I think.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,414 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Plaka, Elounda or Agios Nikolaos

Sounds lovely - Plaka is a great location if you have a car

Happy Holidays

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Plaka, Elounda or Agios Nikolaos

I'm unsure of the "facilities" in Plaka - does it have restaurants, or is it too small even for that?

Hessle, United...
Level Contributor
371 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Plaka, Elounda or Agios Nikolaos

Yes there are several restaurants in Plaka but just so you are aware there is also a lot of building work going on there at the moment.

6. Re: Staying in Plaka, Elounda or Agios Nikolaos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 July 2017, 23:37
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,039 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Plaka, Elounda or Agios Nikolaos

As a solo visitor Elounda may be a better place to stay, as there are more choices of places to eat and more places to stroll to, when you feel like stretching your legs, if you have been travelling all day .

Plaka is tiny, with nothing much to see, apart from the sea views, and they seem to be constantly building there, which is spoiling the once sleepy atmosphere of the village.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Plaka, Elounda or Agios Nikolaos

Thanks, both.

Debs - why do you say that "as a solo visitor" Elounda is better? What's the reasoning for it being better specifically for a solo visitor because there are more place to eat?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,039 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Plaka, Elounda or Agios Nikolaos

Not just that, although that is a consideration, but for me I would enjoy sitting in the village square looking at the harbour and people watching while enjoying a drink/meal. I could stroll to the causeway or salt pans, stopping off, if I felt like it. there are local shops, supermarkets I could browse in or buy supplies from. There are a number of bookshops where I could pick up items of local interest.

Basically in Elounda I could be as inactive as I wanted, but if I wanted other distractions, in lovely surroundings, these are available.

Hessle, United...
Level Contributor
371 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in Plaka, Elounda or Agios Nikolaos

I agree, you would soon be bored in Plaka.

Get answers to your questions about Lasithi Prefecture
Recent Conversations