We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neapolis

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Neapolis

What's it like as a base for a few days next month? I'd like an alternative to Ag Nik or Elounda and don't mind being inland.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Neapolis

Hi P H

I do like Neapoli, it's a bustling little town, with a wide main street, often with fruit and produce vendors selling from the back of their pickups. There's a stunning church and 3 or 4 very good museums from the time when it was capital of Lassithi Prefecture. Plenty of tavernas and restaurants, but it tends to stay off the tourist trail so it has retained its atmosphere.

It sits just off the E75 with easy access in either direction and there are some scenic drives on the back roads to Elounda and Plaka, via the villages of Fourni, Kastelli and Pines, where we have eaten a few times for next to nothing.

If it wasn't for the fact that Mrs GB likes to be on the coast when we visit, I wouldn't hesitate to stay in Neapoli. Photos here from the third row to the end.

flickr.com/photos/…

Edited: 09 May 2013, 08:27
Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Neapolis

Thanks, GB. Mrs Phil prefers the coast and has overruled me so we'll probably try to find somewhere to stay in Plaka instead. Neapolis looks a good place to visit and that church is simply beautiful.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Neapolis

Morning P H

I know that one of the Popes was born in Neapoli, there's a statue of him by the church but I don't recall his name. For me, the murals and frescoes in the church there rival those at Agios Gerasimos in Kefalonia, simply beautiful. There's also a "back way" from Neapoli up to the Lassithi plateau, the road was upgraded about 5 years ago and it's a superb drive now, much safer and equally as scenic as going up the other way via the Ambelou Pass.

Northants
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Sissi
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Neapolis

Neapoli was the capital of Lasithi before Agios Nikolaos.The most knowed resident of Neapoli is Pope Alexander V (Petros Filargos),raised by monks. He studied in Heraklion and then in San Francesco at the Venetian monastery.After a lot of studies all over Europe he was declared Pope in 1409.He died in Bologna. Neapoli was under the Turks and Adhosidis Kostis Pasha. Many monasteries and churches are located near Neapoli. The Byzantine church of Agia Ekaterini or the Panagia Kera Goniotisa or the monastery of Agios Georgios Vrahatsiotis are some of them.

Extract from http://www.ellada.net/crete-info/index.php

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Neapolis

Good stuff Tynecastle...;0)

6. Re: Neapolis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Lasithi Prefecture