We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cape cod on the Fourth

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
83 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
cape cod on the Fourth

I'm heading to a wedding on Cape Cod over the Fourth of July weekend. I've never been to the Cape before. After researching various options (i.e. a ferry from Boston, flying into Providence or Provincetown, etc.), I decided to fly into Boston Thursday evening (6/30), pick up a car at the airport, head out of town, and then get an early start to the Cape that Friday morning (7/1). Am I making a bad decision? Is traffic going to be that terrible heading into the Cape?

Also, the wedding is in Orleans. I've been offered a place to stay in Wellfleet. How bad do you expect the drive to be between the two towns that weekend? (Please keep in mind that there's a good chance a cocktail or two may be consumed at the wedding.)

Thanks for the opinions and advice.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
101 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cape cod on the Fourth

I think your plan, overall is pretty good. If you could drive straight to Wellfleet Thursday night from Boston that would be about a 2 hour drive but with less traffic since you would be about a day earlier than most other visitors. If that is not possible then try to leave as early as possible on Friday morning to avoid the rush. By early I mean arriving at the bridges to cross the Canal before 8 am.

Wellfleet to Orleans and vice-versa is not far in miles less than 20 in most cases but going through Eastham the town in between can be tricky especially on July 4th weekend, if you have been drinking, and you are unfamiliar with route 6.

Route 6 through Eastham has many traffic lights, intersections, and on July 4th weekend hundreds of tourists unfamiliar with the road.

I would make several trips between where you are staying in Wellfleet and where the wedding is in Orleans and then back to Wellfleet before the actual wedding to familiarize yourself with the route.