We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to spend reasonable weekend early May?

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Where to spend reasonable weekend early May?

I wonder if what we want is even possible. Hopefully the forum readers will come through!

My wife and I want to spend a Friday and Saturday night the first weekend of May for our anniversary on Cape Cod. Our requirements are a really comfy plush bed, serenity, ocean views. A huge plus would be a large tub in the room (I'm 6'1" and rarely get to really enjoy a good soak).

We don't have any expectation of swimming in the ocean early May, but we love to look at it and walk the beach. And I think we'd prefer the ocean side to the bay side, but don't have any knowledge of either. I'm just basing this on my own experiences with bays and oceans. :-)

Here's the rub - we really would like to find this for around $150/night. Is such a thing possible?

If you don't have a particular recommendation can you perhaps guide us towards what towns we might look at?

I'm sure my wife will read this post and add more! :-) (Hi, honey!)

Thanks!

-dragon

NYC
Level Contributor
660 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to spend reasonable weekend early May?

For serenity I think you’re looking at the Outer Cape. Most of that area, especially on the ocean side, is National Seashore. Think of the tall, steep dunes and the wild ocean (as opposed to sloping sands and protective sound the islands create on the more southern portion of the Cape). Those are the places I want to take those romantic, Oceanside strolls. This is the place you’re really going to get away from it all. In that area there some structures , that were there before the area became National Seashore, that have been ‘grandfathered’ in – but for the most part the area is unspoiled just like it was when Therou was there.

I’ve just described the problem – there aren’t very places on the ocean side and what is expensive and usually rents by the week. You’re also not going to get the most modern plumbing in areas where building permits are hard to come by.

With those things, and your price range, in mind I’d recommend these cottages. A few even have ocean views and I think the fireplaces will be welcome in May. But I think you’re bath tub would be a no go there and the bed is only going to be as wonderful as the bedding you bring for it.

http://www.surfsidevacation.com/index.html

frommers.com/destinations/…H32550.html

If you wanted to give up on those ocean views or go to a less serene area you’ll have lots more to choose from in you’re price range – I think you’re going to have to decide what’s really important and what you can let go.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,234 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to spend reasonable weekend early May?

For a luxurious soak in a long deep soaking tub, in a romantic bed and breakfast in a quiet ocean-view location...one of those gems in the National Seashore on Fort Hill go to www.forthillbedandbreakfast.com. It's our favorite place to stay on the outer cape. I didn't mention it sooner because it's out of your price range. These innkeepers took a National Historic Register farmhouse and upgraded the entire property....new plumbing and wiring with modern amenities like that cast iron soaking tub I mentioned. They provide great hospitality, first class linens, spacious suites, guest-only livingroom with a fire in the fireplace on chilly mornings and a guest refrigerator to boot. When you consider that you do not have to leave a tip, and the full breakfast they give you means you don't need to eat lunch, the place is a real value. As the previous poster mentioned, you won't find another B+B with ocean views in the National Seashore....Fort Hill Bed and Breakfast is it.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,315 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to spend reasonable weekend early May?

I think you'll have a hard time finding everything you want for $150 a night, even in the off season.

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to spend reasonable weekend early May?

Thanks to all for the replies. My request probably isn't doable in total. We may have to leave the Cape entirely.

Any recommendations anywhere else that might fit the bill? Plymouth? Gloucester? Basically anywhere in MA, NH, RI on the ocean would suit.

Thanks!

-dragon

NYC
Level Contributor
660 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to spend reasonable weekend early May?

Low Price

Ocean View

Serenity

Fancy Amenities

You’re a really hard time finding all 4 no matter where you go. Even off season. I think something on your list has really got to give.

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to spend reasonable weekend early May?

I know - I want it all and don't want to pay for it! Champagne taste and a beer budget.

I guess I was hoping that pre-season we might catch a place before the rates went up. If we could get everything else I would give up the tub. Doesn't have to be fancy - just serene with comfy bed.

Still no good? I know, I'm impossible. (The wife thinks so too! :-) )

-dragon

NYC
Level Contributor
660 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to spend reasonable weekend early May?

I always split the difference and settle on the ‘champagne of beer’ :-)

I think your best bet is to forget the Ocean View. It is really stunning but it also limits your options if you’re on a budget. I’ve never stayed here but I’m familiar with the area and it really is nice, the price is right, the bed looks great and it has a ‘soaking tub.’

http://chezsven.com/index.html

Dryer Pond is really one of the prettiest places out there and the woods on the Cape are really lovely. Actually – a little cabin in the woods near a pond would be my first choice anyway. A really sweet NY Time’s article from years ago about ‘the Prince of Ponds’ that will give you a better feel for the area then I ever could:

query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html…

And I’m just telling you about the more isolated areas I’m most familiar with. Do a ‘Bed and Breakfast’ search in this forum and check out all the places previous posters have recommended. Since it is off season a fancy hotel in one of the larger towns that might be unthinkably crowded in July may be perfect for a romantic weekend in May. I just don’t know but I’m sure other posters do.

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
803 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to spend reasonable weekend early May?

Now that's a good idea. OK folks - what if I put back the requirement for "tub for two" (which is the only kind I fit in) and take away the ocean view, but substitute a lake view.

(Chez Sven looks nice, but only has Queen beds and their "soaking tub" I think might just be a regular sized bath tub.)

Recomendations?

Thanks!

-dragon

Methuen
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
537 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to spend reasonable weekend early May?

You could check out the Edgewater in Dennisport .It appears that they have 1 bedroom deluxe oceanfront for 160.00 - some pictures show a Jacuzzi not sure if it is all units - just ask

www.capecodoceanresort.com or 508-398-6922

They are part of a timeshare so there mavbe salespeople about - their sister resort the Breakers has just opened last season

For a nice dinner the Ocean House is great if open for the Season

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
36 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to spend reasonable weekend early May?

If you don't mind, you can check out this website for specials...

it is a timeshare selling place, so you have to listen to their

spiel but on the other hand, they are supposedly offering

free two night, three day stays, with a coupon for dining. You

have to have an income of at least 40K (couple).

My h and son and I are goint to one of their 3 dennisport

properties in April.....so I don't know yet how it will be.

I need to get the website, so I'll post it here asap.

Oceanwaves

PS. Keep looking...you should be able to find something

off season. I'm a AAA member and I go through the tour

book, calling hotels that have what I want and ask for their

cheapest possible rates and ask a lot of questions about

amenities, whether they have a breakfast, etc.

You might try Maine instead of the Cape. The Cape is better

for kids because most hotels have kids stay free on the Cape, and

the Cape is better for indoor pools off season.

Maine is beautiful, can be cold, but we have been there in

April, May and even December. I recommend Ocunquit

or Wells...and there aren't very many places actually on

the beach but there is Norseman in Oqunquit, right on

the beach (no pool)...and also a nice place is The Anchorage

in Oqunquit right above the ocean and a nice walk called

the Marginal Way...however it is not right on the beach. There

are some other hotels too on the Marginal Way. Call each

hotel directly and ask for their cheapest rates for what you

want. The Anchorage had an outdoor hot tub that was great...

you have to share it with everyone...and an indoor heated

pool, too. Some rooms have ocean views, some don't.

In Wells, Lafayette's has various rooms, some have ocean

views, and they are cheaper off season....call them and

ask. They have an indoor pool in one of ther properties but

you might have to walk depending on which building you are in.

They are clean but not fancy.

I think you would enjoy Oqunqut, Maine if you haven't been

there. Wells, the neighboring city, is less expensive. Both

have nice public beaches. Maine on the coast has a lot

to see.

On the Cape, you can probably find good rates off season

that aren't necessarily published. Some hotels in Maine and

on the Cape are not open year round, so look for year round

places.

Also, we stayed off seasin in Old Orchard Beach, Maine.

We stayed directly on the ocean ....we did not have an

ocean view but were right on the ocean..The beach was

deserted (I think it was in early May or late April; the hotel

had just barely opened for the season)...They had a good

breakfast too. It wasn't fancy but I sure enjoyed being on

the ocean. I do NOT recommend Old Orchard Beach in

the summer...it is wall to wall tourists. Off season it is

quiet....not much to do as most of the places don't open

till Memorial Day, but you can find places to eat and it's

quiet. Old Orchard Beach tends to be run down, in my

opinion.

I like Ogunquit, it is very touristy and there are also shops to

visit in Perkins Cove, I never buy anything just look for fun.

Another great place in Maine is the Boothbay Harbor area...

there are several drive on islands...and if you can find a place

that is open off season (many are not) it is beautiful. Lots

to see in terms of scenery, not much to do off season.

Good luck. I don't know that much about the Cape but I

think if you keep looking you will find some deals off season.

Oceanwaves

Get answers to your questions about Cape Cod