We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Cape Cod - 10 days in June

Glenlivet, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First visit to Cape Cod - 10 days in June

Hi,

We are a couple in our 30's, no kids, heading for our first visit to Cape Cod in June. We fly into Boston and spend a couple of nights there then hire a car and head out to the Cape for a week.

A couple of questions we have are:

Is it going to be busy on the Cape

and

How realistic is it to hope to fine accommodation without booking in advance? We tend to drive, explore, drive a bit more then look for somewhere to spend the night.

Also we are wild about seafood - any tips from the locals on where we can go to stuff our faces?

Thanks,

Tim

Bristol, Rhode...
Level Contributor
484 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Cape Cod - 10 days in June

Depending on what part of the Cape your wanting to stay at but there's tons of great places to grab some great seafood.One place I like visit when I'm in the area is the lobster boat.

http://www.capecodtoday.com/lobsterboat/

They have some great food and the prices aren't to bad.

But as far as finding a place to stay isn't to bad..I've done it in the past, but June is a very busy month so you might have to do some driving to find one.But like I said it's not totaly impossible.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
101 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Cape Cod - 10 days in June

You should have no problem finding an accomodation as long as you look along route 28 in the mid-Cape area (Hyannis, South Yarmouth, Dennis) where the motels are most plentiful.

It will be busy, but not at the levels of July and August because families are not here yet (kids still in school).

Some good, casual, moderately priced seafood restaurants in Mid-Cape area: Cooke's Seafood; Hearth & Kettle, Captain Frostys, Kream n Kone; Skippy Pier 1, and yes the Lobster Boat suggested by RI guy.

eastham, Ma
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Cape Cod - 10 days in June

Everyone goes to the midcape, explore the real cape cod on the Outer Cape and head to the tip. Sandwich is really nice there are a few good places to stay like the Daniel Webster Inn and the Belfry Inn, then head down Rt 6A (the quainter side) if you want waterfront beach front, then go over to 28. Definitely don't miss Chatham, the National Seashore in Eastham and Provincetown. Spend a day exploring 1 of the islands-Nantucket is a little harder to get to but you can make it a quick trip on the Fast Ferry, but its a little more expensive. Martha's Vineyard is closer to shore but stay in Falmouth or Sandwich for 2 nights, unless you want to stay on the Vineyard.

The Cape is only 1.5 hours to drive from beginning to the tip, so remember that wherever you stay you are within driving distance to everywhere. But don't make the mistake of feeling you have to stay in the middle. Everyone stays near Hyannis and it is really not the best place to stay for most people. Try more B&B's especially if you don't have kids. Midweek is usually less expensive and you can go with the hotels on the water at that time, but stick to the B&B's on the weekends. Good luck with your plans

northern NJ
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to Cape Cod - 10 days in June

Although summer is busy season, the Cape never seems to feel busy. So even at peak season, it never feels that way (except if you are driving on Rt 28).

As for accomodations: If you want to stay in an inn that has a real Cape Cod-feel to it, you need to book in advance. I would avoid Rt 28 at all costs: tons of tourist families with kids, heavy traffic, loud, no charm at all.

If you want a quiet area, try traveling Rt 6A, which is riddled with nice places to stay. There are always inns on this road with vacancy indicators. We loved Isaiah Hall B and B, but it has gotten a bit pricey and is usually booked far in advance.

You can't beat the seafood on the cape! Some places are tourist traps, so be careful. For a really nice meal, we loved Abicci in Barnstable (rt 6A) and Gina's by the Sea (right on the beach in Dennis). But for really great cape cod style cooking, go to Capt Parkers for their chowder, Tugboats for their stuffed lobsters, and Capt Frostys for fried clams and clam cakes. Finish all meals with ice cream from either Ben and Jerry's or Four Seas!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,036 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to Cape Cod - 10 days in June

Several of the restaurants suggested were in Hyannis. For example Cookes is good but I would like to see you eat or dine on the waterfront in a place like Tugboats or nearby Baxter's Boat House. Baxter's is kind of like two restaurants. One is fried seafood and you eat either in the enclosed or on the open air dock and the seating is picnic tables. On the other side you dine, have live piano music and more upscale food, seating etc...but you are still wearing your shorts. People drive up in their boats, dock and walk in because you are on the water there.

ALSO: since everyone has a different idea of what BEST means I highly recommend that you pick up the excellent guide to Cape Cod -- An Explorer's Guide. Cape Cod Martha's Vineyard & Nantucket by Kim Grant. It is updated regularly and the latest edition (as far as I know) is the fifth edition. I live in the Midwest and found it years and several editions ago at Borders for $20. We've come to the Cape for 12 years now and I still use it. Love the maps too.

Don't worry, whatever you do you'll have a great time.

cape cod, harwich...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit to Cape Cod - 10 days in June

Timus--I do own Alyce's Dunscroft By-The-Sea perfectly situated on Cape Cod with a pvt. 2-Mile Beach and in-town to restaurants, shops, galleries. Quiet and Romantic--no children or pets here. You might want to take a look at us at www.dunscroftbythesea.com There are many great places to stay here, but just take a peek--it may just be the ticket. alyce

Glenlivet, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit to Cape Cod - 10 days in June

Great advice folks, many thanks.

As we are going around for 10 days and we are experienced road-trippers we though about heading north and driving up towards Main for a couple of days before heading back down to the Cape via Boston, and we though the ferry. Any thoughts on taking ferry to Cape Cod from Boston? Is it busy mid week, will we need to book?

Level Contributor
224 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First visit to Cape Cod - 10 days in June

you may want to look on line in the sight for www.bestreadguide.com where you will find a lot of good ideas. There are some nice lighthouses here in Chatham and Falmouth that are worth seeing.

It can get congested on Route 6 and Route 28 but not as bad on Route 6A.

If you want to just drive along and see the sights, take either route 6A or Route 28 and you should be able to find some nice areas.

I like the outer cape but I find a lot of nice restaurants in West Yarnouth. There is a nice Irish Inn down in Yarmouth as well. Enjoy!

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
101 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First visit to Cape Cod - 10 days in June

Yes, you could take the ferry from Boston to Provincetown on the tip; rent a car there for a few days to explore the rest of the Cape; Then go back to Provincetown and return to Boston on the Ferry.

Appley Bridge...
Level Contributor
624 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First visit to Cape Cod - 10 days in June

I'm part of a couple in my 30s without kids and I suggest you go all the way out to the lower cape (furthest out). That gets you away from all the mall shoppers, hotels with pools and child friendly activities. Look at a map and you'll see it's just about all National Seashore out there - Wellfleet is my favorite town as it's got that liberal artist vibe. Some things I'd suggest are renting bikes, getting a fire permit for a campfire on the beach, exploring the ponds, renting a boat and putter around the harbor, or just hanging out up at the Beachcomber and eating some of those famous oysters.

Just about all these little towns have information centers just off the main road. Stop off at every one of them and chat up the person working the desk to find the best local lobster shacks, beaches and motels/cabins. This is the perfect place for an impromptu road trip. You're going to have a blast.