We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Martha's Vineyard ferry questions

toronto
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Martha's Vineyard ferry questions

We will be in Chatham for last week of August. We were told we should book the ferry ahead of time because it will be so busy. I hesitate to do this because we want to make sure it's a nice day when we go to Martha's Vineyard. Does anyone know if it's necessary to book in advance to go to M.V.?? Thanks.

Lewisville, North...
Level Contributor
265 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Martha's Vineyard ferry questions

That's a tough one. If you are planning to take your car to Martha's Vineyard, you will need reservations. If you're going without a vehicle, you can take the Steamship Authority Ferry without a reservation. Check out the website...

web3.steamshipauthority.com/ssa/index.cfm

As far as other ferry companies, I'm not sure what their policy would be. When all else fails, call and ask each company's advice.

Good luck!

toronto
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Martha's Vineyard ferry questions

thanks for that info. I think I assumed we wouldn't take the car - but will it be easy to navigate MV without a car? Thanks.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,174 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Martha's Vineyard ferry questions

You can spend the entire day in Oaks Bluff or Vineyard Haven where the ferry lands. they both have beaches and more than enough shops to keep you occupied. If you want to go to Edgartown, take a shuttle bus. If you want to tour the island and you do not want to bike it, look into renting a taxi or take advantage of the shuttles that give tourists a tour around the island.

Lewisville, North...
Level Contributor
265 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Martha's Vineyard ferry questions

My husband and I found it very easy to navigate without a car. We took the ferry to Oak Bluffs, spent time touring around town there, took the MVA (I think that's what the "public" transportation system is called) to Edgartown, spent time there and then took MVA to Vineyard Haven. The benefit of getting on the Steamship Authority is that you can take the ferry to one place and then board it at the other. I didn't really feel like I wasted my time backtracking to a town I had already been to that day.

If you want to see more of the island, you can buy a day pass on the MVA for $6 and take the various routes around the island, again easy to maneuver. There are tours around the island, but most do not let you off at the various towns.

I hope you have a great time! Let us know if you have more questions.

usa
Level Contributor
240 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Martha's Vineyard ferry questions

Just booked our trip to Martha's Vineyard thru hy-line out of Hyannis a few weeks before we went. We were able to cancel within 24 hours if we changed our minds due to weather etc. We took the faster ferry for 59.00 a person and paid 12.00 for parking.

6. Re: Martha's Vineyard ferry questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 02:17