We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which town for families

toronto
Level Contributor
291 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Which town for families

we are thinking of going to Cape Cod next summer and I like to start to plan early. Which is the best town for families with children from 6-13, three of them so we generally like to stay at a Cottage type of resort. The kids like the beach, swimmimg pool, one son loves hot tubs, kids activities like mini golf. Our family likes to bike hike and like a place to walk around at night and look at shops and get ice cream. Parents wouldn't mind a bar at night where you could get a snack and a drink and look at the ocean and here music. Does a place town like this exist.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which town for families

There are certainly pleanty of places that will meet most, if not all, of your requirements. I am sure many others will weigh in with good suggestions but here's mine:

We have been going to the Cape for over 30 years. Since we had children 12 years ago, we have been renting the same house in Dennis, which is mid-Cape, and have found it to be perfect for our family. There are magnificent bayside beaches, where the tide goes way, way out revealing huge stretches of beach with tidal pools. Lots of fun for exploring small animals, rocks, shells, walking, whiffle ball, bocce, kiteflying, sand castle building -- you name it. My husband and I are avid cyclistsand we like to ride around the back roads on the east side of Dennis and Brewster but Dennis is also the start of the Cape Cod Rail Trail, which is a bike/hike path that goes into the outer Cape. As for activities and kids' stuff, the area along Route 6A in Dennis is dotted with antiques shops, galleries, coffee shops, restaurants and bookshops. There is also an art museum and a playhouse/art theatre. In the middle of Dennis is a large, developed shopping area with all the conveniences and a more conventional movie theatre for the kids. Along Rte. 28 in town, there is a more "carnival" feel with ocean side beaches, mini golf, trampolines, bumper cars, souvenir shops and excellent ice cream at the Sundae School. With a car, you can experience the different feel of each area in town. You can also take trips to the outer Cape, which tends to be less developed and is home to one of the most beautiful strips of protected beach on the east coast, the Cape Cod National Seashore. We like to go late in the afternoon, when parking is free and the beaches are uncrowded. Great for a picnic until dusk. One final practical matter -- Dennis is the last exit along the Cape's main highway where there are four lanes (2 each way) for travel. After that point, the highway reduces down to 2 lanes and that can be a source of many traffic headaches, especially on the weekend.

If you really want the feel of a resort with pools and hot tubs and such, you might take a look at Ocean Edge Resort in Brewster. We have never stayed but have friends who enjoyed it. We will be meeting other friends who are staying there over the next couple of weeks.

Good luck on finding a place -- the Cape really is a gem.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which town for families

Hi

We also vacation in Dennis and agree with all of the above

Dennis is also the heart of the cape which makes touring ( if desired) easy

It is known as a family friendly area

Looking for a cottage -

www.weneedavacation.com and www.marthamurrayrealestate.com

have loads of rentals

WNV.com being my best choice

Good Luck

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which town for families

Dennis is just lovely and has beautiful beaches and a couple of very good tennis centres (one of which has a swimming pool), and you can join for the duration of your stay. Dennis is also right in the middle section of the Cape running from shore to shore and is near Hyannis with the ferry to Marthas Vineyard and Nantucket which are 'must see' islands. The 'strip' between Dennisport (which is a little tired but lovely at the same time!), is full of things for children to do.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which town for families

Hi Ambrosia

Where is the tennis center that has a pool and allows you to join for your stay

Thanks

If this is true its a great find for the kids when the water is too cool we can use the pool

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which town for families

The tennis center with pool that you are thinking of may be at Ocean Edge or perhaps Willy's Gym in Eastham (indoor pool and I think tennis courts). They both have websites so that should help.

I will second the weneedavacation.com website. You may find, however, that many rental home owners won't be able to commit to a week for next year yet as they offer them first to returning tenants. I usually don't open my home up for new rentals until holiday time. But it's possible that I'm unusual....

If it's Willy's Gym you are thinking of, you might want to rent a home in Orleans or South Eastham as they will be near shops, restaurants and bars in Orleans and you can easily get to the bike trail.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,561 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which town for families

I don't think you are different. We rent our summer home in Dennisport through a realtor and, as you say, we don't really get started until sometime in January so that the repeaters can be accommodated first. The great thing about renting a house is that you DO get all the comforts of home including a washer and dryer. Dennisport is the beach village that is right on warm and calm Nantucket Sound, perfect for kids.

WNV is a great marketing co. but they don't guarantee the quality of the homes or the accuracy of the description because they can only be a marketing arm for all the owners who pay to be on their site.

With a realtor you can browse the homes on their website but then talk with them about what you want and get their professional advice. It costs no more (at least in our case) to use a realtor and sometimes less.

toronto
Level Contributor
291 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which town for families

Thanks for all the replies. I was looking at a number of places that looked nice on the internet but it is hard to tell what they are really like. They were the Breakwaters and Edgewater Beach resort which didn't seem to get good reviews but looked nice in their pictures. The Cordair and Cross Rip which had mixed revies, the By the Sea guest suites which did have good reviews and the Three Seasons Resort which did not have any reviews. I did not get rates for any of them but will call later in the year but if any one has some information which will help narrow down the choices. How far is the bike route from these resorts. Thanks for all the help.

berkley, ma
Level Contributor
190 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Which town for families

Well Dennis (bay side) is getting my vote also. This side also has the best sunset view. We live only 1 hour away from Dennis and it is our choice every year for a week also. We go the week after Labor Day and to us this is the best week, no crowds, weather sill hot during the day and cool at night. You might want to look into a place called Ocean Vista (we stay right near there) they are condos right on a private quite beach. The beach is also nice for small children because it does not get ruff with a south wind and the tide goes out far making little tide pools for the kids to play in. Their are also a lot of cottage rentals in this area but they fill up fast because a lot of people go back year after year to the same place the same time. So make your reservations early as possible.

This side of the cape is the true Cape Cod with no McDonald arches even the pizza place looks like a house.

Also the best way to get around is to go to a AAA office or Walmart and buy a street map

I hope this helps you

9. Re: Which town for families

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 00:16