We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day in CapeCod...what to do!

USA
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Topic
One Day in CapeCod...what to do!

Hello, everyone!

Need some suggestions on what to do in Cape Cod in one day. We're driving from Boston and will have only one day to tour the area. Worth the trip? Better yet, if you had to choose, which would you recommend Cape Cod or Rockport, Maine?

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Islesboro, Maine
Level Contributor
310 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day in CapeCod...what to do!

I think a place to start is to ask you what day of the week you will be traveling and for you to define your interests. You may get more useful and insightful feedback from forum users.

I am partial to a visit to Cape Cod. But mind you it was a visit to the Cape several years ago (I was working abroad in London) that sold me on relocating here. You have been warned - it is wonderful here!

USA
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day in CapeCod...what to do!

we're in our early 30s and we're adventurous, but we can just tour the town if that's all there is to do. Not interested in beach time, as we live near the coast already. Like shopping for unique items found only in that city, we love golf, hiking, kayaking.

USA
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day in CapeCod...what to do!

Visiting New England Labor Day weekend, so it would be Sun or Tues.

Falmouth...
Level Contributor
657 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day in CapeCod...what to do!

Something you won't find just anyhere, a whale watch trip. http://www.whalewatch.com/

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day in CapeCod...what to do!

Some one day activities:

Driving the length of the Cape, stopping for lunch and visiting some of the National Seashore beaches and other sights along the way would be one of the most perfect days you could ever plan.

The whale watch will be great

Antique shops are all over the Cape...nice day exploring

Could spend the whole day going through art galleries

Could spend a whole day on Nantucket

Day at the beach takes a day.. : )

Anyway, what are your interests? Kayaking, beaching, hiking, shopping? It's all here....

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
237 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Day in CapeCod...what to do!

I would opt for Maine.

There is too much ground to cover, too much to do on the Cape for one day. It wouldn't do it justice. Also, Labor Day weekend traffic is awful on the Cape.

Although, Maine would also have heavy traffic, it wouldn't be as bad as the Cape.

USA
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: One Day in CapeCod...what to do!

I had mentioned Rockport by mistake. I meant Portland, ME.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Can't wait to visit New England! We're ready for a break from the heat wave, so we're hoping the weather would be cooler than 100+ heat index!

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Day in CapeCod...what to do!

hi! Cape Cod is one of the most beautiful places in the Northeast and beyond. Portland Maine would Never be described that way.

Having said that, Portland is an interesting little city

....but...no. Come to the Cape instead....Can you squeeze in a little more time? But: if you do decide to go to Maine, there are several beautiful places along that route through and beyond (but close to) Portland. But this is the Cape Cod forum and you'd find much more info. on the Maine forum, of course. Happy Trails!

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One Day in CapeCod...what to do!

This might be something for you. Walk on Adventures up at LL Bean in Freeport. Freeport is 20 minutes North of Portland ME.

In addition to one of these adventures you can see the lighthouses of Cape Elizabeth and have a great dinner in Old Port Portland.

llbean.com/outdoorsOnline/…

I have rented a house in South portland for that week. Sat, Sun & Mon the luckycatch is a lobsterboat that takes you out to pull lobster traps and see the seal rocks. I have us booked for a Monday tour. www.luckycatch.com

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One Day in CapeCod...what to do!

This one is a half day class

llbean.com/outdoorsOnline/odp/courses/kayak/…