We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B vs. Rental

NJ
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Topic
B&B vs. Rental

Hi -

I am still trying to decide where I would like to stay this Summer. I know it will either be in the Chatham, Harwich or Orleans areas.

But what I can't decide is whether to stay in a B&B or to rent a home.

Initially I wanted to stay for just 4 nights, but if we rent a home it will be a weekly rental.

We might not arrive until Sunday and may leave Friday not Saturday - but honestly when I look at the prices per night of the B&Bs it is actually MORE expensive in some instances to stay in a B&B vs. a home!!!

I was wondering what is the basis for some of you to stay in a B&B vs. a home given the incredibly high prices at most of the B&Bs and inns? For instance for just THREE nights a queen room at the Chatham Wayside would cost me a total of $1117.00 and four nights would cost me almost $1500! Another example is the Captains House Inn - same situation, an average room with a queen bed is $285 a night before taxes - so for four nights that is $1140 a night before taxes. And I've been told that various rooms at that inn can be noisy and cramped.

I've gone on a variety of rental websites - rent by owner or brokers, and there are cottages that are priced similiar and in some cases less and you have your own private home for 7 days.

Is it just me? I realize that for some people money isn't a concern, and I can afford to take a nice vacation. But that said, I would like to get the most for my money.

Just wondering what others thought.

Thks!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B vs. Rental

I'll risk being insulted and called names and try to answer your question. We have been renting every year in the Orleans area for longer than I care to think. We wouldn't go any other way. Try cyberrentals, weneedavacation or for a local realtor, wilkinsonre.com. No comparison between having a whole house and one room in a hotel or guest house. We and many of our friends have rented through Wilkinson R.E. for many years without any problems. We have also used both the other websites successfully.

NJ
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B vs. Rental

Thanks very much!

Anyone that would insult you or call you names for giving your very LOGICAL opinion that makes perfectly good sense - doesn't belong on this board! LOL

Thanks again!

NJ
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B vs. Rental

Senior65 I forgot to ask you - aside from a security deposit what other charges can I expect if I rent? If I go through the actual owner I assume none, but if I use a realtor - how much do they add on?

Thks!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B vs. Rental

At least the last time I rented a cottage (years ago) the only drawback is that you used to have to bring your own linens, towels things like that. Aside from the obvious the B&B offers you a full breakfast, maid service and may have an onsite restaurant, other services like local advice about where the innkeepers recommend for restaurants, places to visit etc. Of course if you do your research here on TA you will be an expert before you arrive!

We usually use B&Bs when we want to stay for a shorter period (2 or 3 nights) for longer periods renting a condo is something we've done. With the condo rental the linens were included. I think the cottage rentals would be able to tell you what services are included and not included. Just be sure to ask upfront.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: B&B vs. Rental

Extra charges vary. Sometimes there is a cleaning charge. Realtors often charge a small service fee, I think Wilkinson's was about $35. You usually have to provide your own linens and towels but some provide them, you should check the listing carefully. You can also rent sheets and towels and they will be delivered to the house for you. Local phone calls are free but there is usually no automatic long distance access. Have to use a calling card or similar. You are sometimes responsible for taking your garbage to the local dump, again varies from rental to rental.

NJ
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: B&B vs. Rental

Thanks for the info! :)

Your right about me doing all my research way before I arrive, for me that is what I enjoy so much about planning a trip. So aside from the linens (I prefer to have my own anyway) and the breakfast included there don't seem to be many advantages for a lengthy stay. Naturally as you say - if it is only 2-3 nights I would not rent a cottage.

Where have you rented a condo? Was it at the Ocean's Edge in Brewster? Looks like a huge place - if that is where you have rented did you like it?

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: B&B vs. Rental

The condo rental I was referring to wasn't on Cape Cod so I can't help you with finding one there. I would think though that the realtors may be able to advise you if there are condo rentals as well as cottage rentals on Cape Cod. The thing about the rentals is that for Cape Code you need to do them early by end of Jan / early Feb. Of course this year with the economy being not great and all the home loans going bad etc. there still may be good availability later than usual.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: B&B vs. Rental

I forgot that one advantage of using a realor or rental agency is that the key pick up and drop off may be more convenient that trying to meet up with the owner. Also I would think the rental agency would prescreen properties so you may not get stuck with a cottage in bad shape etc. The rental agency wouldn't want their reputation ruined renting out dumps, etc.

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: B&B vs. Rental

Most people have already stated something similar to this, but I would say that the biggest difference for me between a B&B and a rental is that you have to make up (and strip) your own bedding and you don't have someone cleaning up your house every morning. And most of us who rent expect that our renters will leave the house in pretty good condition so you do spend your last morning vacuuming and straightening up.

But renting is definitely more economical and it can be nice to have your privacy and the convenience of a kitchen and a washer/dryer.

As for the key issue with direct rentals, the owners will simply send you a key and you will have to send it back to receive your security deposit. Pretty easy.

Good luck with whatever you decide! I'm sure we'd all be happy to help you figure out if some potential rentals are in good locations.

A

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: B&B vs. Rental

I'll put in a good word for a B+B stay. First let me say that when I vacation I like to have a break from the usual day to day chores that consume my days at home. (No laundry, no cooking, no cleaning or making my bed, no food shopping) I don't mind paying a bit extra as long as I am getting value for my money. Also, I treasure my privacy but have to admit that some of the nicest times I've had while vacationing have been because the innkeepers and fellow guests were so friendly and helpful in guiding us to interesting places that we never would have found on our own. So, I always choose carefully, looking for warm hospitable innkeepers, private, quiet locations, full breakfasts, all the amenities like WIFI, AC, linens, housekeeping, DVD, robes etc and spacious accommodations. I avoid paying the extra 10% room tax at large B+B Inns by choosing smaller ones (3 rooms or less) that do not have to collect the tax. So I feel I am getting a good value by staying at a quality B+B.

With all of that said, a stay in an awful B+B can be just as bad as a stay in an awful rented house. We stayed at a B+B on Nantucket Island with a noisy spa right next to the room. The chlorine smell was awful and the breakfast the next morning was nothing more than coffee and donuts. We wasted $180 that night and will never go back. On the other hand, one year we rented a house on the Cape that was moldy from being closed up all winter, spiders just loved the place, it was way down a dirt road in a pine grove with no sun. I spent the first day getting settled and cleaning, was kept awake by the neighbors partying, had to buy a fan to keep cool (no AC) and ended up spending a fair amount of time at the library checking my e-mail (I have to stay in touch!). That week cost me $1600 +

So....there is no BEST answer. A wonderful B+B is magical... it's the perfect choice for me. A house of your own may be just right for you.