We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West coast couple seeking the perfect two days at the Cape!

Santa Barbara
Level Contributor
108 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
West coast couple seeking the perfect two days at the Cape!

Hi there,

My boyfriend and I will be staying in Boston for a few nights then plan on renting a car and driving out to Cape Cod for two nights. Since we only really have about 2 days we are wondering which town we should choose. Some requirements:

* picturesque beach town (the stereotypical beach houses and walkable village)

*somewhere close to the ferry to Martha's Vineyard (we'll be going there for a day - are there bike rentals there?)

*we are in our 30's & 40's - don't need a nightlife just some great oyster bars and waterfront taverns

Thanks in advance! Any and all advice welcome.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West coast couple seeking the perfect two days at the Cape!

If you only have two days, and one of them will be spent on MV, then it makes sense to stay close to the ferry in Woodshole. Falmouth, Woodshole and Sandwich, all on the upper Cape, should give you what you are looking for an "in-town" location. Because of their proximity to Boston, however, they have more of a "suburban" feel than many of the places further out on Cape Cod. Nonetheless, considering your time constraints, the upper Cape seems to be the most logical place to start looking and I'm sure you can find some of the quant venues you are looking for.

I am sorry that I can't give you any further recommendation as we always stay on the outer cape in the National Seashore ....not really a practical location for your situation.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West coast couple seeking the perfect two days at the Cape!

Good advice from Yellowbird. Those are the locations I was thinking of :-) also for your limited time frame.

Can you add another day or two to the Cape Cod visit? That would allow you 2 or 3 days on the Cape and one on Martha's Vineyard which would be much less rushed.

If you like gardens, the Heritage Museum and Gardens is lovely to visit in Sandwich. It has an antique car collection and some other things of interest in the museum part but the gardens are the real draw I think.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West coast couple seeking the perfect two days at the Cape!

Also most definitely there are bike rentals on MV. Here is one company (Probably others as well if you do a search):

http://www.marthasvineyardbikes.com/

Or you can get around the island by the convenient bus system:

http://www.vineyardtransit.com/Pages/index

Santa Barbara
Level Contributor
108 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West coast couple seeking the perfect two days at the Cape!

Great ideas!! I love Trip Advisor people! The gardens and Heritage Museum sound great.

I think we are leaning towards Falmouth and although my mom stayed in P-town last year in May and really loved it, I think it's a little far from the ferry, etc.

Wish we could add a few more days on to our trip. As it is, we are spending Tues and Wed in Boston (we have tix for the Sox on Wed night) then renting a car Thursday morning, driving to the Cape for the rest of Thursday, Friday and Sat morning, then back to Boston Sat afternoon, then home to CA the next day. Kind of a whirlwind.

Thanks again,

Brooke

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: West coast couple seeking the perfect two days at the Cape!

Yes, quite a whirlwind indeed! But I am always amazed at how much relaxation we can pack in even when we only get a weekend on the Cape. Have a great time! You might also enjoy tea at Dunbar's Tea House in the center of Sandwich.

Boston
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: West coast couple seeking the perfect two days at the Cape!

FYI, there is a fast boat to P-town (from somewhere in Boston - I'm sure you could get it from Google). So if you are interested in going to P-town (one of my faves), don't let the location stop you.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,424 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: West coast couple seeking the perfect two days at the Cape!

Taking the ferry to P-Town would not fit with going to MV.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: West coast couple seeking the perfect two days at the Cape!

There's also ferry service to the Vineyard out of Hyannis. Hyannis is midcape and IMO has better hotels, dining and shops.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
541 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: West coast couple seeking the perfect two days at the Cape!

Gotta weigh in on Falmouth as your best choice. Trendy restaurants, eclectic boutiques, great beaches, evening concerts- what else could you want? Don't forget the Shining Sea bike path- rent a bike across the street from Coffee Obsession- a very cool cafe, and bike down to Woods Hole. It's a level 4 mile ride that wraps around the sea. Visit the aquarium and tee shirt shop while in Woods Hole and enjoy a pastry at Pie in the Sky. What fun!

10. Re: West coast couple seeking the perfect two days at the Cape!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 14:16