We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April vacation

long island ny
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
April vacation

My husband and I are planning to take our two daughters aged 3 and 8 to the cape for school break week April 21st through April 27. So far I think we will stay 4 nights at the Wellfleet Motel (basic but with a small pool) and try to do whalewatch (weather permitting) and p-town, wellfleet wildlife sanctuary, marconi beach, saltham visitor center and just noodle around outer cape.

Then I thought we would spend 2 nights at the Cape Codder in Hyannis with the wave pool that I'm sure the kids will love. We also want to check out Nickerson State park at some point.

Does this sound like a good plan? Any suggestions/comments appreciated.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
344 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: April vacation

Your children will definately enjoy the wave pool at the Cape Codder hotel. I visited in the Fall and saw lots of young, happy faces to and from the pool area. The weather can be very unpredicatable in April, so keep your plans flexible for the whale watch which is well worth the experince. P-town is a great spot, but will be quiet during the off season. Much of the outer Cape will still be in the down season. Enjoy your trip.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: April vacation

Hi there: Another option: Your 3 year old might enjoy a seal watch out of Chatham more than a quite long (4 hours) whale watch.

You can also see the seals (no boat required) at Chatham Fish Pier. There were loads of seals and people looking at each other last year at the pier.

harwich
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: April vacation

Has anyone mentioned Heritage Plantation in Sandwich (www.heritagemuseumsandgardens.org/). It's beautifully landscaped, particularly known for the Rododendrens when they bloom, but they do have an old working merry go round, and an old car exhibit, and if I remember correctly the kids can climb in at least one car. I loved it while I was a child and often send our B&B guests there. Have fun

Falmouth...
Level Contributor
643 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: April vacation

Age 3 and 8 might get bored on a whale watch. It might be a little long for them.

Have a look at Zooquarium in Yarmouth. www.zooquariumcapecod.net/

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,620 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: April vacation

I think your plan sounds good although I'm wondering if the whal watches will be going at that time. And people from our area of Boston do take their kids to the Cape Codder just to have fun in the wave pool.

A couple of other ideas to cnsider:

Bike riding in Ptown if the weather permits. It's a beautiful way to see the National Seashore and you can rent a bike that will have a 'wagon' for your 3 year old.

Climb the Pilgrim Monument on a clear day. Our children did it as early as 3 as the climb is more a seriest of ramps rather than stairs. You can get a great view from up there.

Spend a day in Brewster. Go to the CC Natural History Museum, visit a Bay beach to see the tide go WAY out, stop by the Brewster Store for 'penny' candy and to shop, stop by the Strawberry Patch to see the Garden trains.

Bowling in Orleans if the weather is lousy. It's candlepin bowling so your 3 year old will manage fine. And they have bumpers to keep everyone from avoiding gutter bballs.

We always go down on April vacation and have had 90 degree weather (seriously) and the kids went swimming and last year had a three day monsoon! So check out the weather in advance and then go have FUN.

long island ny
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: April vacation

Great ideas everyone. I am definitely rethinking the whale watch- there are so many other great things to do. I'm sure we'll go back to the cape when my kids are older and more likely to appreciate the whale watch. We have had our share of outings that we thought would be educational/fun but just turned out to be a torture fest for all.

Anyway, thanks to all who replied- it is greatly appreciated!

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: April vacation

<We have had our share of outings that we thought would be educational/fun but just turned out to be a torture fest for all.>

This really made me laugh and reminisce about my kids and grandkids and some of the "educational" outings we attempted that really bombed! You never know what they'll like...but we keep on trying! You put it beautifully..thanks for the laugh!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: April vacation

I agree that the whale watch may be better to save when the 3 year old is a little older. At age 3 will be hard to see. There is also a fun Pirate adventure cruise out of Hyannis but unfortunately doesn't appear to start until June.

Hertiage Museum and Gardens in Sandwich is also worth checking out. The kids can ride an actual carousel and there is a toy museum, antique cars museum etc. so one of the few museums that is popular with kids and adults. Could be an option if it is a rainy day.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: April vacation

Another quick, free thing you could do is tour the Cape Cod Potato Chip Factory in Hyannis:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g41623-d10…

On TripAdv it got mixed reviews but my niece and nephew who were 6 and 8 at the time liked it. Since it is free not too much to lose and is something to do if it is raining.

10. Re: April vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 01:19