We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic into Cape Cod in mid to late June???

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
309 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic into Cape Cod in mid to late June???

Everyone told me traffic into Cape Cod on Friday afternoon (and out on Sunday) is horrendous during the peak Summer time. I plan to go there around mid to late June of this year. Will traffic be bad on Friday for this early in Summer?

Thanks in advance!! :-)

Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
588 Reviews
from US$94.50*
Go Boston Card, with Access To...
127 Reviews
from US$57.00*
Small-Group Day Trip to Plymouth and...
5 Reviews
from US$105.00*
Cape Cod Fast Ferry
38 Reviews
from US$60.00*
boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic into Cape Cod in mid to late June???

Traffic in June probably won't be as bad as later in the summer. I travel frequently from Boston to the Cape on Fridays, but usually leaving Boston around 5pm. I don't know what it's like earlier but at that time, the problem is getting out of Boston. The new approach to the Sagamore Bridge replacing the old traffic rotary has made a huge improvement. Now I rarely encounter traffic problems once I get past the Boston suburbs.

Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic into Cape Cod in mid to late June???

The problem is that leaving the city at that time is horrendous on the Expressway. If you go EARLY on Friday, that will make all the difference to you. At 3, or 4, or 5, nothings is going to help you. Sunday, leave early if the weather is good, leave late if the weather is bad. This is just the opposite of the way the other drivers will be thinking.

Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic into Cape Cod in mid to late June???

You've been given good advice and I'll only add that on the way back, if you stay to eat dinner and then go home, you shouldn't have any trouble. We find that the new flyover really helps on the way down but not much on the way back. The entry ramp onto Route 6 from Exit 1 (Christmas Tree Shop) still causes a bottleneck. But, frankly, with the exception of the really big weekends, the traffic hold out is never usually more than 10 minutes coming off Cape.

4. Re: Traffic into Cape Cod in mid to late June???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 09:17
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question