We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes

Portskewett, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes

Hi,

I will be staying in Dennis Port from 19th July - is there any problem with Mosquitoes in the Cape area?

I have a plug in repellant that I take when I know there will be a problem and it's been great - but will I need it??

Thanks in advance

Sarah

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes

If it rains there will be mossies. If you are in a wooded area you might have some...bring the plug..

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,859 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes

If you have screens on the windows you shouldn't have problems indoors but you should use repellant outside especially if you are like most Brits and get eaten alive. You should also watch out for greenhead flies, especially near marshy areas, they can give you quite a nasty bite.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes

Senior good point! I remember when visiting the UK/Ireland that fewer windows had screens on them there. But here in the US as you noted they will have screens.

You can buy spray on repellant when you get here. I am not sure what kind of plug in repellent you have? If it requires electricity you'll have to bring a power adapter.

Portskewett, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes

Thanks everyone.

I have loads of adapters mainly from forgetting to take one and buying another at the airport!!!

I have some DEET spray on so will take that too.

Its funny - I rarely get bitten here in the UK where to be honest no one takes any precautions but send me abroad and its like a mosquito free for all!

Getting excited about Cape Cod now - just over a week to go!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,859 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes

I'm originally from Cardiff, many moons ago and all my relatives suffer when they come to visit me in Canada, whereas I rarely get bitten.

Portskewett, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes

I work in Cardiff!!!

I am sure the mossies just like the "new blood"!!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,859 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitoes

Will probably be ZOOM ing off to Cardiff later this year, try to get back as often as I can, in between visits to our beloved Cape where we have been going every year since we moved to Canada. Was in St Bride's Wentloog a year ago at a lovely little restaurant for an anniversary dinner. Hope you enjoy your stay on the Cape.

Portskewett, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitoes

Thanks Senior - we intend to have a nice time whatever! Just looked at the forecast and it's thunderstorms next week (weather.com) - but who cares? I will be on holiday in Cape Cod!!

Have a great time in Cardiff when you come back over later in the year - green, green grass of home eh?

Sarah xx

9. Re: Mosquitoes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 10:18