We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any quieter on the Cape....

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Any quieter on the Cape....

Just wondering if the price of gas is keeping the crowds down? I guess a lot depends on how far one has to travel to get there.

We arrive on 8/9, renting 'our' house in E. Harwich again...Can't wait!

Curious if it'll be as busy.

Naomi :-)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any quieter on the Cape....

we're not going for few weeks, either, but after the 4th there were quite a few news reports that the Cape was in full swing - ironically the business owners credited the price of gas - more people from Mass. staying close to home

Methuen
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
534 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any quieter on the Cape....

Hi - Just got back from the Cape - I was there July 6th thru the 17th . Going down on that Sunday - I did not have one bit of traffic. There was a long back up - I think all the way to exit 7 at around 1:30 but that was the end of the 4th of July weekend. Driving was not an issue around the Cape - but the weather was awesome all week .

As the previous poster said the price of gas has actually made the Cape a "Tank Away Vacation"

The lowest price I saw was 4.11 so up about 7 -10 cents from home.

The staff where I stay reported that there were a surge of customers on Thursday thru Saturday Vs the Friday to Sunday weekend crowd in the past.

Lower rates during the week and maybe less traffic on Thursday would be the draw. The phone was ringing off the hook due to the forecast for this weekend.

I generally ate early - at or before 6:00 so I didn't run into any lines.

Kreme and Cone did have a line out the door around 6:30.

I know most people where we stay either eat two meals in and one meal out or just use the grills to cook to save a bit .

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any quieter on the Cape....

I'm a eat one-meal-in kinda gal ;-)

It 'aint a vacation if I gotta cook!

Even then, we eat breakfast out once or twice. Even better.

$4.11 a gallon is positively 'cheap'. Higher here :-(

We don't plan on doing very much while there anyway.

One or two planned activites then we'll just play it by ear.

Now that we stay in E. Harwich, many of the things we do are centered around Harwich, Chatham & Orleans.

We try to avoid 28 as much as possible.

Crossing my fingers that the boys don't wanna go to Pirate's Cove. I'm sure they will though, it's a yearly ritual. Hate that stretch of 28, yukk!

Methuen
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
534 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any quieter on the Cape....

I drove up 28 in that area on last Tuesday - There was no traffic to speak of other than the stops at the lights. I was travelling between 5:30 and 7:00 P.M.

So- if you have to play mini golf go mid week .

The weather was great so many were not out shopping or golfing

Cuffy's factory outlet (the one off of Station Ave closed in February ) other stores are open.

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any quieter on the Cape....

That's unusual fr that stretch, usually bumper to bumper.

Gotta love Cuffy's. Wonder what specials they currently have going on. In the past, we've taken advantage of the 12/$36 T-shirts.

I work p/t at an elem. school as a cafeteria/recess aide and those shirts are perfet for work. I call that my work uniform ;-)

Hey, for $3 a piece you can't beat it!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,036 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any quieter on the Cape....

Cuffy's: Hey Naomi, at these prices you can outfit all the kids too.

Last month I went to the one in W. Dennis. The sign on the door screemed Buy 3 Get 8 free. No kidding. That almost seems like a job and a big one.

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any quieter on the Cape....

I'll have to stock up.....

8. Re: Any quieter on the Cape....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 09:26