We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reality-check my itinerary please?

Tolland, Connecticut
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Reality-check my itinerary please?

Hi,

My husband and I, totally unfamiliar with the Cape, are planning a mini-vacation, basically one day, then staying over one night. Please tell me if this plan sounds realistic:

10:30 AM, arrive in Sandwich, walk around, go to a museum

1PM, drive to Yarmouth Port, walk around, go to a historical house

4PM check into hotel in Dennisport

5PM drive to Dennis Village, go to a restaurant, then the play at the Cape Playhouse

11PM return to hotel, drive home next day.

I would appreciate any feedback - thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Playhouse
Cape Playhouse
116 Reviews
Dennis, MA
Yarmouth Port
Yarmouth Port
Cape Cod, MA
Dennis
Dennis
Cape Cod, MA
Special Offer
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
588 Reviews
from US$94.50*
US$105.00
Go Boston Card, with Access To...
127 Reviews
from US$59.00*
Special Offer
Small-Group Day Trip to Plymouth and...
5 Reviews
from US$94.50*
US$105.00
From Boston to Cape Cod Day Trip...
188 Reviews
from US$78.00*
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,286 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reality-check my itinerary please?

looks do-able to me - when are you going? Traffic eases considerably after Labor Day, but some Fall Saturdays can be busy. (But none of the towns on your itinerary are that far apart)

Methuen
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
537 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reality-check my itinerary please?

Is there a specific house in Yarmouthport you are planning to visit?

If not you may want to spend your time in Sandwich - (if you look on this site there are several recommendations for things to do in Sandwich) then drive onto Dennisport -

Also - you may be able to check in at your hotel prior to 4 - if it is nice weather and you are on the sound you may enjoy the beach or view

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
546 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reality-check my itinerary please?

Sounds doable to me. You may want to visit the Heritage Gardens and Museum if you are into beautiful gardens and interesting small museums. One of them features military toy soldiers. Another has old cigar store wooden Indians. But, the best and biggest has dozens of incredible antique cars like you have never seen. Also in Sandwich there is the Sandwich Glass Museum and the Thorton Burgess Museum a few steps from each other.

Drive to D-Port via Rte 6A for a very scenic journey.

Mentioned in this post
Sandwich Glass Museum
Sandwich Glass Museum
619 Reviews
Sandwich, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reality-check my itinerary please?

I think the itinerary is a little packed. For one thing between 10:30 AM and 1 PM you'll probably have lunch and that will take time. What museum are you thinking of in Sandwich? Glass Museum?

Heritage Museum and Gardens would take several hours to explore. I recommend it and you may want to make time for it. For your husband he may be interested in a visit to there as they have an interesting antique car exhibit. My husband liked the exhibit!

I'd drop the drive to Yarmouth Port or do it on the next day on your way home and spend more time in Sandwich.

Mentioned in this post
Sandwich Glass Museum
Sandwich Glass Museum
619 Reviews
Sandwich, MA
Yarmouth Port
Yarmouth Port
Cape Cod, MA
Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,399 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reality-check my itinerary please?

I'd skip Yarmouthport unless you have a real compelling reason to do that, it's not really a walkable town area....it's beautiful, but more of a drive by, unless you are looking for something specific.

Since you have the 1p - 4p stretch allocated for Yarmouth, I'd say drive Rt 6A through Yarmouthport, maybe taking a detour out to Bass Hole and walk the boardwalk. Continue 6A down to Hariwch, then head South towards Rt 28 and over to Chatham. Chatham is definitely more of a walkable town that can fill up your time, and offer options for lunch.

From there, just take Rt. 28 out towards Dennis and it will take you into Dennisport.

Mentioned in this post
Chatham
Chatham
Cape Cod, MA
Dennis
Dennis
Cape Cod, MA
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Reality-check my itinerary please?

Where is the Heritage Museum and Gardens

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reality-check my itinerary please?

Heritage Museum and gardens is in Sandwich.

Check it out here:

http://www.heritagemuseumsandgardens.org/

Tolland, Connecticut
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reality-check my itinerary please?

Wow, thanks all for the great suggestions! We are driving in next Thursday, returning Friday. I think we probably will go to the the Heritage Museum and Gardens in Sandwich and not worry too much if there's no time for Yarmouth Port.

Mentioned in this post
Yarmouth Port
Yarmouth Port
Cape Cod, MA
boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reality-check my itinerary please?

You've been given great advice and it sounds like a fun day.

May I suggest either the Scargo Cafe or Center Stage Cafe for your dinner near the playhouse? Both are very good and have online menus. And both take reservations which you probably won't need.

Mentioned in this post
Scargo Cafe
Scargo Cafe
813 Reviews
Dennis, MA
Tolland, Connecticut
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reality-check my itinerary please?

Thanks! I'm glad you think we won't need reservations. We were also hoping to get tickets at the door at the Playhouse - do you think that's possible?