We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do we start?

United States
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Where do we start?

I am planning a trip to the Cape Cod next August. We are going to have 6 aduits and 4 kids (ages 1 to 5). We never been to the Cape before, but with the number of people, we figure would be a good idea to just rent a house/condo in the Cape for a week. I have went online, and saw many listing. However, not really sure what I should be looking for. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated, i.e. town to stay in, realtor to use, house to rent, etc...

Thank you very much for your help!

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where do we start?

I recommmend contacting Martha Murray in West Dennis and trying out West Dennis (not Dennisport). The beach is great, lots to do in a 10 mile radius, good eats and central to the islands, P Town and Route 6 A.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where do we start?

Hi Toaster,

I think the first thing we'll need to know is how much of a Beach Person are you (or the group as a whole). The Cape has so much to offer... city, town, country, near the beach, on the beach, etc. It always helps to know how important the beach is to your vacation, because then we can point you in the right direction. And as for beach, what is important - views, miles of sand, warm water... It also helps to know how you envision your vacation, sitting on the beach, quietly relaxing around the cottage, drive-ins, kids activities, sightseeing, shopping... etc. The more info you give us, the more we'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

United States
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where do we start?

Thank you for your help! With all the little kids, we probably just want a kids friendly beach with soft sands that they can play and build sand castels. Hopefully not too crowed and easy to park.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where do we start?

West Dennis or 4 miles directly North Mayflower Beach.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,093 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where do we start?

The warm Nantucket Sound beaches have very gentle wave action. When you call Martha Murray Real Estate be sure to ask them the prices for the places considered 'walk to the beach'. You'll have lots of options. They have not signed contracts for 2009 with their homeowners yet but I think you can still claim a week with a very small initial deposit now.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,093 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where do we start?

P.S. If you are in Boston then the realtor can show you through several cottages if you'll make a trip down to the Cape.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where do we start?

It is great you are checking out options early. YOu'll definitely have more options for dates/accommodations. Since you are close by (Boston), you should definitely come down this fall and meet with a realtor and check out some properties in person. It is worth it to find out in person if you can. Earlier the better! You can prescreen beforehand to rule out the obvious duds but nothing like seeing what you'll be renting.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
541 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where do we start?

I would recommend that you consider staying near Woodneck or Old Silver Beach in Falmouth- both warm water , kid friendly beaches with no undertow. Falmouth boats easy access from Boston (1 hour 15 minutes) less traffic, a cool Main Street http://falmouthvillageassociation.com/

with outdoor movies for the kids in the park, a childrens book store, a destination playground, a trolley to the ferry for a day in Martha's Vineyard and more! There are a number of good realtors in the area.Try Century 21 Cape Associates http://www.anniehartcool.com/ or Real Estate Associates to begin.

Good luck!

9. Re: Where do we start?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 13:15