We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to rent a house in Cape Cod - with teenagers!

Surrey
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to rent a house in Cape Cod - with teenagers!

I am researching where to take our summer 09 holiday (we live in the UK) with our 2 teenage children (who will be 19 and 16 next summer) and probably they will have a friend each with them. A friend of ours stayed in Falmouth this summer with his (much younger) kids and said it was fantastic. My husband and I enjoy beaches, cycling, horse riding, ice-cream, and generally cooking and enjoying nice food - so the Cape area sounds great for us. The kids like beaches too, however, they are obviously much more into typical teenage things - hanging out in town, not being with us too much (i.e. being able to get themselves around on foot), and the older one likes going to bars (obviously being under 21, this won't be possible in the US - which she is painfully aware of).

Surrey
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to rent a house in Cape Cod - with teenagers!

Sorry - I must have hit a button which launched my forum topic before I was ready! The second forum by this name has the full forum post.

Holliston, MA
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to rent a house in Cape Cod - with teenagers!

Falmouth is definitely a hot spot for both you and your children. You can rent a house/room right on the water or just off the beach and still walk to it, as well as get into town and other attractions easily. Everywhere in Falmouth is a vacation spot, and you've got the ferry in Wood's Hole if you want to take a day trip out to the islands. Just check before you book to see what's going on, there's pletty of events in the summer including the Falmouth Road Race that can really fill the town to capacity.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to rent a house in Cape Cod - with teenagers!

There are more responses on the other thread too!

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,593 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to rent a house in Cape Cod - with teenagers!

Personally, I'm not wild about Falmouth, I think the traffic midsummer is dreadful... but that's just me.

I decided on Eastham which has awesome beaches. I just completed my search for a summer home, signed a lease and tendered a security deposit.

I came across this house in Eastham which is more than what I wanted, but you might be interested.

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p141997

NYC
Level Contributor
660 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to rent a house in Cape Cod - with teenagers!

I think Falmouth is a bit much too. And I’m not a fan of Hyannis at all. I love Eastham. But I think the Town of Wellfleet, even further out, might be a better choice for teens because it has a little historic town center and gathering points are more condensed. You won’t find the zillion teens you’ll find in Falmouth or Hyannis – but you won’t find all the traffic and consumer trappings either. I think this is one of those many instances where less is more.

And if you’re willing to spend a few grand you could find a 4 or 5 bedroom out there no problem - but I would caution you not to get too consumed with renting a too large home. Houses on the Outer Cape (cottages, really) tend to be modest and low to the ground – if you rent a very large, newer home expect it to look out of place compared to their more charming neighbors. I’d concentrate more on views, decks, proximity to the water, and area and I’d like those kids share a room or sleep on a pull out sofa. If you’re situated in a really nice area with great neighbors I doubt anyone will mind sharing indoor space.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,677 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to rent a house in Cape Cod - with teenagers!

Orleans is also a good choice. Town centre with shops, restaurants etc. Skaket Beach on the Bay side and Nauset Beach on the ocean which is good for teenagers. Few minutes to the start of the National Sea Shore beaches in Eastham which stretch up to Provincetown. Try weneedavacation.com or cyberrentals.com for rentals. We have also used Wilkinson Real Estate in Orleans, wilkinsonre.com.

Take a look at the column to the left of this page for lots of information.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to rent a house in Cape Cod - with teenagers!

Here's the thing: Chatham and Orleans have cute downtowns that kind of fold up by 10:00 or so even in the summer. The most exciting thing pre-teens do in Chatham at night (other than hang out at the beach or at a house party somewhere) is to sit on the wall in front of the Methodist Church on the corner of Cross St. and Main. They sit there until the Chatham Police move them along....and they do move along: to the cement bench in front of the memorial at the library across the street. Anyway, you get my point...there's nothing for kids downtown at night.

During the day any of the options suggested would suit.

You don't want your kids wandering around by themselves at night anyway. And there's probably nothing you'd want your under 21's to do at night alone other than go to the movies. I'd pick a place that suited the Adults in your group.

8. Re: Where to rent a house in Cape Cod - with teenagers!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 19:20