We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Cod with Children

Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Cod with Children

Hello, I'm beginning to plan my family's summer trip to Cape Cod, and other than a class trip when I was in the 6th grade, I've never been. I will be going with my husband and two young children, who will be 1 year and 3 years old at the time of travel.

I am hoping for some suggestions of:

- What town to stay in - we'd like a kid-friendly beach. Crowds are ok, but pounding surf is not. I remember a beach (from my class trip) where it was HUGE at low tide, you could walk really far out - but I don't remember which beach that was...

- Good hotels or rentals in the area that are family friendly, and smoke and allergen free (I have very bad dust and mold allergies).

- Fun activities in the area for toddlers. Our son really loves trains, cars, the beach and marine life. (Right now his favorite animal is the octopus, go figure).

Any suggestions are very welcome!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,050 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Cod with Children

Hi - two towns come immediately to mind - Dennis & Brewster. Both have beaches on the bay side which will give you those long distance shallows at low tide and toddler-friendly swimming at high tide. The other nice option in Brewster - perfect for small kids - are the freshwater ponds. Small beaches with lifeguards & shallow water. You park right at the curb and haul out all the beach toys, etc and set it right down. If you buy a Brewster beach sticker it is good for both ocean and pond beaches. You can rent bikes with trailers and seats for the kids and use the bike trail. I am not sure about the allergen free rentals, I would suggest that you work with a local realtor for that request. Have fun - the Cape with kids is a blast.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,736 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Cod with Children

Our children loved Skaket Beach in Orleans and so do we. Perfect for little ones especially when the tide goes out and you have miles of beach to walk on and explore. Your son will love checking out the pools for hermit crabs. The parking is right behind the beach with level access. There is also a refreshment kiosk for icecream etc., washrooms and showers. The Bay beaches in Eastham are also good for little ones. We, and our friends, have used wilkinsonre.com for many years. I agree that you should discuss your allergies with a realtor. Properties close to water can often have some mild mildew or mould issues which may not bother those of us without allergies but could be serious for someone who is particularly sensitive.

CT
Level Contributor
112 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Cod with Children

Hi,

I think the best family friendly town in cape cod is Brewster. The sand flats are awesome. A good hotel for kids in Brewster is the Ocean Edge Resort. If you're looking for a good restaurant for kids Laurino's is great. I think on Thursday nights they have a bouncer in the back and they have a fire pit were you can roast marshmallows

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Cod with Children

I would suggest you consider staying in Chatham. Great Nantucket Sound beaches..little surf. You might enjoy Oyster Pond a lovely small beach with absolutely no surf and plenty of little kids. It's nice.

Here's the thing: Dust and mold were invented on Cape Cod. Really. I'd suggest staying in a place with central air and in your case, I'd suggest a newer hotel or a hotel that's been very well maintained. What's the budget? (although nothing is really cheap here in the summer..other towns have more affordable options).

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
541 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Cod with Children

I would say that the warm water beaches of Falmouth would be perfect for you. The big bonus for your family is that Woods Hole is located here- the home of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute and the MBL. The Marine Fisheries Aquarium has an amazing touch tank for the kids to hold crabs, squid and the like(no octopus here). The seals are fun to watch to at feeding time. Ocean Quest will take you out to examine the aquatic life they will find in lobster traps and do experiments on board for the kids to participate in. What fun! beaches such as Old Silver and Wood Neck have really cool salt water ponds where the kids can fish for snails with nets and pick up hermit crabs to play with. Main Street offers free outdoor movies and concerts and great shopping for you, too!

Have fun where ever you go. The Cape is the place to be for any family.

Check out all my postings for more info.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,294 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Cod with Children

Lots of families with little ones choose affordable Dennisport with the beautiful Nantucket Sound beaches reputed to be the warmest of Cape waters and very gentle in this area with no quick drop offs or weedy bottoms.

There's plenty to do off the beach as well and you can find a variety of dining from very casual to casual to upscale.

Many of the motel rooms there have a fridge and microwave at least, so you don't have to go out for every breakfast and you can store snacks, even lunch items.

Someone mentioned getting a realtor and I think they may be thinking of you renting a house for a week or more. This could be a good idea with small children as you have more room, all the conveniences of home and especially a washer and dryer. But, you may enjoy more being right on the beach and there's so many opportunities for that in Dennisport.

Wherever you stay you can be sure that you'll enjoy your Cape Cod vacation.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Cod with Children

Check out the cottages at the Tern Inn in West Harwich (www.theterninn.com), and see my photos and review here on Tripadvisor. The inn is not directly on the ocean, but very close to Pleasant Road beach, which is a good place for kids to play. The inn itself is clean as a whistle, with a pool and a playground for little ones, and lots of room to run around on the beautiful grounds. The owners, David and Joan Bruce, are grandparents, and are very accommodating.

While you're on the Cape, be sure to visit the Cape Cod Museum of Natural History in Brewster, which has a touch tank and lots of things your sea-loving boy will enjoy. He might also like to visit Sandwich Heritage Plantation museum in Sandwich, which has a great collection of antique cars, including one you can sit in!

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Cod with Children

Friends have stayed in one of the cottages of the Tern Inn and loved their experience. This place is great.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape Cod with Children

All towns mentioned above are great suggestions. When my children were your age we stayed in Dennisport near a private beach and West Harwich near Pleasant Road Beach. However, the Bay side is great for that age because the beach becomes a big sand box with some tidal pools. Plenty to keep your 3 year old occupied and safe. Skaket Beach in Orleans is a favorite Bay side beach for our family.

With children your age, it might be best to find a place withing walking distance to a beach. Then, if the baby needs a nap, its easy enough for one parent to walk back to the cottage or hotel. We used to walk back for teh bathroom, unch,... There a many reasonable hotels on the water in Dennisport, there is the Sandpiper in Harwichport but I really don't know much about it (are they accomodating to children?, can they accomodate a family?,...) other than its on a nice beach.

As far as activities, I would recomend the Cape Cod Museum of Natural History in Brewster for sea life and hands oon activities and the trampolines along Rt. 28 in Harwichport. Then take your 3 year old for a ride in Bud's Go-Carts, just down the road.

10. Re: Cape Cod with Children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 15:16