We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip enough?

United States
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
274 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip enough?

While in Boston we would like to visit Cape Cod. Is a day trip enough time to drive down and back or is staying in the area a must? What to do here?

United States
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip enough?

BTW: not interested in beach activities, we just want to visit the area and see some lighthouses.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,054 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip enough?

You could certainly do it in a day, but staying at least one night would make for a more relaxing time.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip enough?

The lighthouses are spread out. Some you can actually climb up and they have open house hours with someone there to give more information. Nauset Light in N. Eastham is like that. Their website is http://www.nausetlight.org/. There are lighthouses in Truro (Highland Light) and Provincetown (those are more inaccessible).

Norwood, MA
Level Contributor
355 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip enough?

You can take a day trip to P-town by ferry. If you decide to drive, do yourself a favor get off the main highway (Rte 6) and take the scenic route (Rte 6A). There isn't much to see from Rte 6.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,054 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip enough?

Well you will not see any lighthouses on 6A either.

If you want to do it in a day you need to stay on 6, perhaps head to Chatham first and then on to 6 again through Orleans and head for the Nauset Light and on up to Truro.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip enough?

I love this link because it shows Cape Cod lights and of those, which offer overnight lodging!

http://www.lighthouse.cc/ma.html

If you decide not to tour all of the Cape, you might just take a day trip from Boston to Falmouth and visit Nobska Light. Falmouth is beautiful and the little downtown area is charming. Here's a description of that lighthouse and directions:

rudyalicelighthouse.net/MassLgts/…Nobska.htm

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
541 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip enough?

Good idea, Fussy. Falmouth would be the best choice for a short 1 1/2 hour drive. Visit the most picturesque Nobska lighthouse in Woods Hole, get a cup of Joe at Coffee Obsession or Pie in the Sky and watch the world stroll by. You could get a bite at any of the good lunch restaurants like Fishmonger, Capt;n Kidd or Phusion Grill. Then drive along the shore back to Falmouth Village and explore the shops and parks along Main Street. Be sure to pick up a walking guide from the www.falmouthvillageassociation.com web site.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip enough?

Definitely choose Falmouth/Woods Hole if you choose to do a day trip. Falmouth has a nice center village with restaurants and shops and you can drive along the water for a short Heights drive.

I suggest if you stay over one night to stay mid-cape and research which lighthouses you might like to visit so that you can optimize your time. Enjoy your time here.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,491 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip enough?

Hey there Orlando,FL, No wonder you don't need a beach experience... Have you mentioned WHEN you will be visiting Boston? IF you decide to do the overnight on the Cape then I would like to suggest that you consider a visit to Chatham Light. Folks can 'tour' the Light on Wednesdays. The Light House is run by the Coast Guard. It is open every Wed in the afternoon during July and August and every other Wed in May, June, Sept. and Oct. Their number is 508-430-0628 but they are not answering as yet. So I called Chatham info and spoke to Nan at 508-945-5199 (www.chathaminfo.com) who was very helpful. She agreed that, if you do an overnight mid-week, you can get a single night rental even in high season and she is available to speak to you and/or mail you some info. If you decide to go this route then there's a bunch of other 'attractions' for you and your options expand quite a bit.

Other than this I wholeheartedly agree that spending a day in Falmouth (whether overnight or just a day trip) would be very satisfying and I only mention this Chatham option because of the dramatic beauty in the Lighthouse area and because the village's charm equals Falmouth's.

BTW, to clarify an OLD point for you...Carnival is not the largest cruise line but their parent company Carnival Corp is you see. Corp began a buying spree first with Holland Am. Later, Costa, Princess and several others. This is how they get away with saying they are the largest in the world. I used to work for RCCL a hundred years ago.

United States
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip enough?

We are travelling in mid May. Someone mentioned that there is a lighthouse in Cape Cod where you can stay overnight? That would definitely be an experience to remember. I will look into this.

How cold does it get in May?

By the way, we have too many beaches in Florida, so yes we are not interested in beach activities while there, but we hear the coastlines in this area are beautiful and definitely the lighthouses. I collect the lighthouse figurine if I have visited it, So this will be a nice addition to my collection.