We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Marthas vineyard to Nantucket ?

Bangor, Northern...
Level Contributor
575 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry from Marthas vineyard to Nantucket ?

Hi all!, I would be grateful if someone out there could let me know if there is a ferry from Marthas vineyard to Nantucket in September ?

I am trying to plan an itinerary, and was thinking of 3 nights on MV, and maybe taking a day trip to Nantucket while there ? or would it be best to just see MV properly and leave Natucket out ( regretfully!)

Thanks in advance !

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Marthas vineyard to Nantucket ?

What time in September? According to their website, Hy-Line's inter-island ferry will stop running on September 12. I believe this is the only scheduled inter-island service.

The boat leaves MV mid-afternoon and then comes right back, so you would have to spend at least one night on Nantucket (i.e. no day trip).

Your other option would be to fly between islands on Cape Air for about $90 per person round trip. There are 2-3 flights per day and if you left first thing you could have a solid half-day on Nantucket before returning.

However, as much as I love Nantucket, I do think you would probably be better off using the extra time on the Vineyard -- the island is beautiful, and you will not run out of things to do and see in 3 nights.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,492 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Marthas vineyard to Nantucket ?

Well, since you've come so far you definately don't want to leave Cape Cod with regrets. How about a flight for $88 per person round-trip for the day on www.flycapeair.com

Here's a schedule for Sept. 15:

Cape Air (9K) #600 Tue, September 15, 2009

Depart: 7:15 am West Tisbury, MA US Martha's Vineyard Airport (MVY)

Arrive: 7:30 am Nantucket, MA US Nantucket Memorial (ACK)

Cape Air (9K) #619 Tue, September 15, 2009

Depart: 6:45 pm Nantucket, MA US Nantucket Memorial (ACK)

Arrive: 7:00 pm West Tisbury, MA US Martha's Vineyard Airport (MVY)

Bangor, Northern...
Level Contributor
575 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from Marthas vineyard to Nantucket ?

Thanks you so much for your help!

Great replies and We may well splash out on the plane ! We will be in NY for a wedding on August 29th, and are trying to work an itinerary in after that .

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from Marthas vineyard to Nantucket ?

If you are coming from the New York area, another option would be to catch a cheap flight on JetBlue from JFK straight to Nantucket (about $75 one-way). This is cheaper and faster than driving to the ferry.

You could then spend some time on the island and then go onward to the Vineyard via Cape Air (or the next day's inter-island ferry, if staying overnight on Nantucket).

Yet another option would be to drive to Hyannis and take Hy-Line's "around the sound" cruise ($84). It stops in Nantucket first, gives you few hours to see the town, then goes to MV and gives another few hours. It then returns to Hyannis, but if you preferred to stay on MV for a few days instead of returning to the mainland, I'm sure you could just let the crew know not to expect you on that final leg.

Bangor, Northern...
Level Contributor
575 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from Marthas vineyard to Nantucket ?

I do like the "around the sound" cruise idea- My next concern is are we likely to find accomodation on MV for 1 or 2 nights , I have read that most places have a 3 night minimum ? We really don't mind the price - any recommendations would be great !

Thanks for taking this time for us!

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry from Marthas vineyard to Nantucket ?

Hi sessiagh!: You could also post your question about M.V. hotels on the M.V. forum for ideas about lodging choices there. Nantucket also has its own TA forum.

7. Re: Ferry from Marthas vineyard to Nantucket ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 21:18