We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area to select?

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
107 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Which area to select?

I am traveling with my sister and another girlfriend (we are all in our late 50's but fit) to the Cape July 11th and I'm in a quandry about where to stay (near or in which of the towns). As we will be driving from western NYS I'm thinking midway on the Cape might be a good choice and allow flexibility.

We plan to do a lot of walking through shops - lots of shops, walk along the ocean, perhaps rent bikes and explore and spend some time at the beach (under cover). We want to travel to Provincetown and the National Seashore.

We will stay at either a weekly rental (cottage) or condo complex (we want a kitchen available). We want to be near the ocean/decent beach (walking distance). I'm not sure which of the two concepts above would work out best for us. In one way I'm thinking that the condo complex on the ocean or very near the ocean might serve us better....????

The town we stay in needs to be large enough for shopping quaint shops and have breakfast/dinner options.

We are thinking about Dennisport, Chatham, or Harwich Port. Now I'm wondering if I should also include Orleans or Wellfleet in the mix. Anyone have thoughts on any of these mentioned spots or other thoughts that we might consider?

I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts before I decide on a location.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area to select?

Hi, you can't go wrong with any of the towns you have chosen. All have what you are looking for in terms of shopping and dining. Each has its own personality. You could stay in Harwich at a cottage near the Bank St. Beach and have access shops, restaurants, etc. Orleans has one of our favorite beaches - Nauset. However, if you are staying near there you won't be within walking distance of the center of town. Wellfleet is a really special place as well, lots of galleries, etc. gorgeous National Seashore beaches including Marconi. I am sure others will offer suggestions as well. My vote would be for Harwich or Wellfleet. Have fun!

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area to select?

Harwich Port or Chatham would be my picks. Whatever you decide, better make your reservations soon, since that's a very busy time.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,301 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area to select?

Quite a few folks who located in Dennisport last season stayed at Oceanfront Condos. It is right across the street (Old Wharf) from Glendon Beach. You could also be right ON the beach at Colony Beach Motel where the rooms have cooking facilities. You could see what options you can get at www.marthamurrayrealestate.com though I think a quick call/conversation would save you time vs. pawing through all those properties and they are open tomorrow.

Dennisport has really reasonable (comparitively) prices and a good variety of all types of restaurants combined with 'walk to' beaches on warm Nantucket Sound. But, besides the Ebb Tide gift shop and Grandma Daisy's you'd have to get in the car to go to the north side (on the Bay) to visit the galleries, funky shops and boutiques, antique stores and the like on 6A. Not such tough duty but you do need to drive the 7 miles OR even closer, you can shop Main St. in Harwichport.

Everyone loves Chatham's Main St. and that would be worth the drive for you to visit for 1/2 day but they really don't have many moderately priced options for beachfront accommodations and I haven't heard of any condos. However You may want to check out Hawthorne Motel which does have some units with cooking facitlies and is on the water there.

You'll be there a week right? Look in the top right corner for an alert about a message and I'll send you some additional info about Cape Cod.

You'll have a wonderful vacation no matter where you locate.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area to select?

If you rent a house, In My Opinion and Experience: it is best to rent through a reliable Realtor or a house that is also listed through a Realty.

Check out tripkey.com This is TA's new acquisition that organizes professionally managed house rentals by destination, size, price.

You can also click on Rentals on the left side of this screen.

Chatham is a lovely town 1/2 way up the Cape; there are other great places to stay too, and they've already been listed.

Have fun planning, this sounds like a Great trip!

5. Re: Which area to select?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 03:20