We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it necessary to book ahead for September ?

Bangor, Northern...
Level Contributor
571 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Is it necessary to book ahead for September ?

I just cannot decide about where to stay when we visit the cape Cod area in September ( from the 4th onwards for about a week )

Could We just take pot luck about accomodation or would it be risky ?

Thanks for your advice !

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it necessary to book ahead for September ?

The busy summer season usually comes to an end on Labor Day, as the kids go back to school after that. This year Labor Day falls late, on Sept. 7, so if I were you, I'd make reservations. Many people will be booking for the long Labor Day weekend.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,050 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it necessary to book ahead for September ?

I agree, you will be much better off with a reservation.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it necessary to book ahead for September ?

Yes. You'll need reservations.

There are weddings all over the place up here in September that have blocks of rooms reserved that you'll be competing against.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
541 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it necessary to book ahead for September ?

Hello Ireland! So now that you know you will need a reservation, where would you like to stay? Cape Cod consists of many areas with various amenities. Do you wan the charm of a small town, or the busy nightlife of a party place? Do you like to swim from a sandy beach or would you rather explore our local history. maybe you are a shopper- some villages have eclectic boutiques- others have chain stores and Christmas Tree Chops. Some villages boast authentic Irish Pubs in case you get homesick, too. Let us know and the experts on this fine board will strive to accomadate you.

Bangor, Northern...
Level Contributor
571 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it necessary to book ahead for September ?

Thanks for your good advice - as always on Tripadvisor!!

We are hoping for - smallish town with antiquey or quirky shops to browse in , seafood restaurants ( I don't want my hubbie to have to drive every night to go out for dinner ) , galleries , beaches, maybe cycling or walking or kayaking ( We are quite out doorsy , did the Inca trail last year - brilliant !)

Not into Irish pubs( want to see America ! ) or wild nightlife , but people watching and a bit of life would be good ! ( provincetown sounds the place for that !!)Might try to see Nantucket , or Marthas vineyard , or both .

To be honest , I have been on this forum - and everywhere sounds great , I am very confused !! We had thought of touring about and staying in various places, but I have found that most Inns demand a 3 night minimum stay . While price is not that important , We want somewhere authentic ! The exchange rate is not good for us this year , so we will just have to bite the bullet !

Thanks !

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it necessary to book ahead for September ?

Many towns on the Cape offer what you'd like; my favorite is Chatham.

Chatham received the 2007 Distinctive Destination Award from The National Trust for Historic Preservation. It's a special place.

Check a map to see Chatham's location on the 'elbow' of the 'bent arm' shaped Cape...it's right in the middle.

Chatham would put you a short drive to the high speed ferry in Harwich Port for a day trip to Nantucket, another short drive to the National Seashore beaches and great kayaking in Orleans and Eastham. Provincetown is a reasonable drive from there.

Chatham is charming and has a vibrant year-round downtown area with inns, shops (something for everyone's budget here), restaurants, galleries, etc. Chatham Bars Inn, if too expensive to stay, is a great place for a drink and a "Grand Hotel" experience.

The Lighthouse Beach is a great place for a walk and has stunning views. Nantucket Sound beaches are the warmest waters on the Cape. You can visit the Fish Pier and watch the fleet come in at the end of the day for an authentic Cape Cod experience. Hopefully the fish market will be up and running and providing great fish lunches/dinners to go.

Here's the link for Chatham's Chamber of Commerce:

http://www.chathaminfo.com/

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
541 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it necessary to book ahead for September ?

Hi there- Fussy is dead on with Chatham. it's a beautiful place to stay. But let me advocate for Falmouth. I think that Falmouth would be an excellent choice for you. It boasts warm water beaches, a beautiful Main Street with flower lined sidewalks and eclectic boutiques.

www.falmouthvillageassociation.com

You can rent kayaks or get a tour from Catumet kayak.

http://www.capecodkayak.com/

I do a lot of kayaking myself and I can steer you to a few pf my favorites spots to put in.

I would stay at the Palmer House Inn http://www.palmerhouseinn.com/, Beach breeze Inn or Shoreway Acres. If you like biking we have an amazing 10 mile long bike path that winds through salt marshes and along the oceans edge all the way to Woods Hole. You could stay at the Beach Rose Inn if you want to be right on the bike path.

http://www.thebeachroseinn.com/

Finally, you can catch one of three ferries to MV from here.

Check out other posts for more info on Falmouth.

Bangor, Northern...
Level Contributor
571 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it necessary to book ahead for September ?

Thanks for all this info !

So now I have it narrowed down to Falmouth and Chatham - We may go for 3 nights in each !

Thanks for all your time!

9. Re: Is it necessary to book ahead for September ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2009, 20:21
10. Re: Is it necessary to book ahead for September ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 02:18