We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with different areas

New york
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
help with different areas

Can someone please explain the different areas of the Cape to me. Which areas are more upscale, which areas are more kid-freindly, which areas are more affordable, etc.

We're a couple with a 6-yr-old daughter looking to travel the end of August (but likely won't book anything until early August or late July). Hoping we can find something, I just don't know where to look.

We'd like beach, restaurants and boat/harbour viewing within walking distance to an affordable motel. I have NO CLUE what I'm getting into.

Help please?

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with different areas

How much would you like to spend per night?

New york
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: help with different areas

As little as possible without roaches crawling on me? :)

We're just looking for a Motel, nothing fancy. No need for a B&B. We do Disney every year but even there I get on-site for under $100. We generally do NJ beaches with motels on the boardwalk for about $100... figured we'd try the Cape for a welcome change of pace. Would something in Cape Cod be available in that range??

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
541 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with different areas

There was a post on October18, 2008 asking about the areas of the Cape. This site might help you. weneedavacation.com/Cape/Cape-Cod-Vacation-R…

You might start in Falmouth at the Tides Motel for boat viewing, great beach and close to restaurants.

www.tidesmotelcapecod.com/w/Main/HomePage

Or the Falmouth Heights Motor Lodge http://www.falmouthheightsmotorlodge.com/ for an old fashoined kind of place that is across from the harbor(no view). Not sure of the price for this one. www.innseason.com/isr/RD_R_harborwalk.aspx. Also on the harbor and closer to more restaurants and shops.

Check out my other posts about Falmouth and the Upper Cape to get you started.Let me know if you need more help.

cape cod
Level Contributor
183 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with different areas

I'm not much of a help with hotels but in the way of towns I'd recommend Sandwich, Falmouth, Chatham. I'm pretty sure if you search you can find places in the first two towns that meet your price criteria.

All of those towns are nice with shopping, great eats, good beaches, and lots of other things to do. All 3 are "upscale-ish" Sandwich is probably the most low key of the 3 but near to Hyannis which, while not as "upscale" has a lot of stuff to do.

Chatham and Falmouth are little towns in their own right but not as easy to access Hyannis from either. I love all 3 places and would be hard pressed to pick one, however; I use to live in Sandwich so I know it fairly well.

It has Heritage Museum and gardens, all very beautiful but it has an indoor antique carousel that is free with the cost of admission and you can ride it time and time again!

Green Briar Nature center and kitchen is nice too, short nature trails and a nice pond. Small live animals (like bunnies) and they have the jam kitchen where they have jam workshops (call ahead of time to book one) where you get to make jam and take it home.

Thornton Burgess Museum - he was the author of Peter Cottontail and they have story times and exhibits. Its right in town and on a pretty pond.

The town board walk is beautiful, its a long boardwalk that goes over a tidal river and to the beach. Band concerts every thursday evening at the bandstand at Wing School, my daughter loved them when she was little, the kids parade around and do dances.

The Cape Cod canal in Sandwich has a playground a bike (or walking trail) and at the Canal visitors center they have the history of the canal and live touch tanks. There is an outside deck with chairs where you can watch the ships.

Sandwich has a fish hatchery on 6A where you can feed the fish.

One of the prettiest ice cream spots on all of Cape Cod is Twin acres on Rt 6A in Sandwich. Mini golf is about a mile east of the ice cream place!

On a rainy day you can head to mashpee Commons (about 15 minute drive and paint your own pottery, it will be fired and you can pick in up in a day or so.

But believe me Sandwich is not unique in having so many tourist related activities, all of our towns do!

Hope this helps!

Susan

www.undergroundCapecod.com

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,133 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with different areas

If you mean that you will arrive on the Cape August 22 or later then I think you will be okay waiting. The most affordable areas are the ones that are more populated but you DO want to be in the tourist areas for your daughter's sake and entertainment.

As to affordable accommodations the Seacoast in Hyannis is very popular and reasonably priced. I've been suggesting www.cuttysarkmotorlodge.com to budget travelers since it is one block to the beach, has a pool, is air conditioned and has a fridge, microwave, coffee pot and coffee in the beach village of Dennisport. Not fancy but a lot of amenities and location for the money. I'm sure you'd really enjoy Falmouth also and you'd find something near your budget too.

Good luck with your planning.

6. Re: help with different areas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2009, 06:19