We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friday traffic

california
5 posts
Save Topic
Friday traffic

Hello!

My family will be in the Boston area in July. We will be visiting Plymouth on a Friday, then traveling to Cape Cod for our evening accommodations. What do you suggest as far as time to be on the road in order to avoid traffic. Is there one route that is better to take at that time? We are staying in Hyannis. How long should we expect to be on the road?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Friday traffic

Traffic from Plymouth to the Cape wont get too bad until 4-5PM as the weekenders are starting to head over the bridge.

Summer time traffic is always steady but some hours are just worse than others

A WORD ABOUT TRAFFIC TO THE CAPE -

Recently it seems to have taken on a life of its own here on the board.

We dont want to scare folks as the traffic is just that traffic. It is a fact of life here on the Cape during peak visitor season ...but we provide the "heads up" here just because it is nice to know that you can circumvent it sometimes by adjusting your schedules.

california
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Friday traffic

Yes, I see what you mean. We are from the L.A./SoCal area, so we KNOW about traffic. With a little patience you will get there . . . . It is good to know the best times and routes. Thank you!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Friday traffic

But traffic on a Friday from Boston gets heavy right after noon. You will hitting the brakes on the xway and backed near Hingham.

Traffic in Boston is a little different from LA. If things are the same in LA..most do not habitually change lanes.

People in Boston love to change lanes and without looking.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,462 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Friday traffic

Valery ... head to Plymouth in the morning, around 10am (after the morning commute); enjoy your time in Plymouth. Most of the traffic is beyond you. From Plymouth, continue the last few miles on Rte 3 to the bridge. Even if it's crawling, you're already close .... don't worry about it. Cross the bridge and things will lighten up. You'll be fine.

I agree w/ Katiebee ... the traffic stories are taking on a life of their own LOL!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,462 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Friday traffic

OOOPS ... I assumed you were driving from Boston to Plymouth first ... but you don't mention that at all ... in Plymouth you are very close to the cape. You'll be fine ...

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Friday traffic

I agree that traffic to the Cape has become a hot topic here.

But I wonder if those posting about the traffic may be wondering what they can do on the Cape while waiting for access to their rental or hotel room once they arrive early in the morning having successfully beat all the traffic. For some, it may seem preferable to sit in traffic for a time (however long or brief) than to wait on the Cape for the room key. (I'd vote for wandering and waiting On the Cape rather than sitting and waiting on the Bridge, but that's just me!)

I guess the bottom line is: you're going to end up waiting somewhere at some point. (but it's worth it in the end).

cape cod
Level Contributor
183 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Friday traffic

I live on the Cape but believe it or not, I end up going to Boston Friday mornings a few times a month for an appointment. So I'm in that dreaded "head to the Cape" friday traffic.

If you will be headed to Plymouth from points north in the morning and coming down Rt 3, the traffic on the Cape side of the highway is fine after about 9 am. (I head to Boston about 7:30 - 8 am, so I can see the traffic on the other side).

From Plymouth when you head to the Cape... if you are getting on the highway at exit 4 with light traffic, it is just about 1/2 hour drive (town center to town center). Any time after 3 pm on Friday how long the drive will take is anyone's guess but unless you are coming down on 4th of July weekend its not horrible.

There will be some stop and go but mostly it keeps moving (albeit, slowly). From Plymouth some people take the surface road 3A. Which could keep you off the highway until the bridge but in my experience that's 6 of one, half dozen of another.

Hope this helps.

Susan

www.UndergroundCapeCod.com

california
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Friday traffic

Thank you everyone for the excellent and specific info! This really helps. forgotmypword: your username cracks me up, and yep, we will be starting in Boston. eileengs2: your description of Boston drivers is hilarious. We'll watch out for those lane changers. Thanks again to all!

9. Re: Friday traffic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2009, 06:19