We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Increase in local option Room Tax-Effective Aug. 1, 2009

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,277 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Increase in local option Room Tax-Effective Aug. 1, 2009

As you all know, hotels, resorts, inn, motels etc collect room (town and state) tax which is added on to the room rate. (Note that private home rentals, private condo rentals and B+B's with fewer than 4 rooms do not collect a MA room tax so their advertised rates reflect the amount you should be paying. You do not pay room tax when staying at a small B+B or for a private home rental.) At the moment, I believe towns are allowed a local option of 4 % while the state mandates 5.7%. So, if you are staying in a large resort, hotel, motel or inn, you are currently paying the stated rate plus 9.7% room tax.

Get ready for a change. Note: this change will not affect private home rentals, private condo rentals, or B+B's with fewer than 4 rooms.

The recently signed FY2010 MA budget includes the following provision to:

Increase the local option room occupancy rate from 4% (4.5% for Boston) up to 6% (6.5% Boston), effective August 1, 2009. Note: the current statewide rate of 5.7% is unchanged.

With towns feeling the financial pinch from the recession, will they activate their local option to increase the tax during this summer season? Anybody have information about this that might shed some light on the issue?

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Increase in local option Room Tax-Effective Aug. 1, 2009

I don't. You?

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,277 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Increase in local option Room Tax-Effective Aug. 1, 2009

Nope. Hoping that towns will hold off until the summer season is finished. Can't imagine them changing the rules Mid-summer. But with all of the MA towns having trouble making ends meet, I suppose it is possible that people who booked a resort/hotel/inn could find that they are paying 2% more than they thought they were. I think that places like Boston, the Cape and the Berkshires, the major tourist destinations, would be the first to consider the hike. In any event....I thought folks who have planned a vacation to MA should know of the possibility that there will be an increase in lodging costs...if not immediately...then probably soon!

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Increase in local option Room Tax-Effective Aug. 1, 2009

That's fabulous, yellowbird! Thanks!

4. Re: Increase in local option Room Tax-Effective Aug. 1, 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2010, 06:16