We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort stay vs. Self-catering

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Resort stay vs. Self-catering

Which do you prefer on the Cape and why?

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort stay vs. Self-catering

CBI is not a forum favorite apparently! CBI has also NOT been frequented by forum regulars either, apparently.

So, going on the assumption that at least Some have had a resort experience, what about the resort (not an A.I.) experience has put you off?

Just curious.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,626 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort stay vs. Self-catering

I'll be honest, in our pre-kid days, my husband and I did resorts here and there but rarely on the Cape.

We prefer the outer Cape .. Wellfleet-to-Ptown and found that many of the self-proclaimed resorts in the area were little more than jazzed up hotels. Admittedly, that seems to have changed in recent times, but we haven't checked out the new places.

We started renting at a 'cottage colony' before having kids and liked the extra room and ability to heat up leftovers or make a snack a bit more creative than a bag of pretzels or crackers and cheese.

Since having kids, we can't imagine doing a week or more in anything but. Four poeple in a hotel room or two room suite w/ a tiny (or non-existent) refrigerator just doesn't appeal to us. Our rental is VERY tiny and some two-room hotel suites probably have more square-footage, but having separate rooms and doors to close in between them is great. This was especially true when the kids were young ... mom and dad weren't forced to sit in darkness cuz it was bedtime!!!

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort stay vs. Self-catering

So you'd say it was lack of space and privacy once kids were on the scene that turned you away from the resort experience.

Thanks for that information. Do you think you'd go back to a resort setting for a couple's weekend sans kids?

4. Re: Resort stay vs. Self-catering

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2010, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Cape Cod