We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery Stores on the Cape

Port Hope, Canada
Level Contributor
879 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery Stores on the Cape

Coming from Ontario in September and just wondering what your big grocery stores are on the Cape. Up here we have Loblaws etc and I know in the Buffalo area they have TOPPS. Dont know if they are just a regional chain or nationwide in the states so just enquiring etc.

Do you have a Walmart Super Centre with the big grocery store inside [just getting these round my way but they arent as good as the ones in Buffalo].

We are staying in Sandwich by the way

Cheers

Pete

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery Stores on the Cape

For large chains we have

Stop & Shop and Shaws/Star Market

I believe the closest Wal-mart super Center might be in Plymouth on your way down to Sandwich in the new Colony Place Mall

There is another WalMart in Wareham and Falmouth but dont think they are super centers - I am not familiar with those stores so maybe someone else can chime in here

There are a couple major grocery chains that serve the Cape (see below) but you can also find some great food items in the specialty stores as well

You will have a Stop & Shop in Sandwich right off of Route 6A. they offer sales but you need a customer loyalty card to receive the sale pricing - so ask for a temporary one at the service desk

508) 833-1302

65 Route 6a Ste D

Sandwich, MA 02563 41.7654 -70.507

Get Map & Directions »

WWW.STOPANDSHOP.COM

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,439 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery Stores on the Cape

Do you know where on the Cape you'll be staying?

There's also a Stop and Shop in Orleans and one in Provincetown. (Used to be Grand Union -- but it became S&S earlier this year. It wasn't at 100% whenI was there in May but it was a BIG improvement. :D )

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery Stores on the Cape

According to the Stop and Shop website, there are 2 Super Stop and Shops in Sandwich: one on rte. 6A and the other on Meeting House Road. You can take a look at their map here:

stopandshop.com/our_stores/…store_results.htm

cape cod
Level Contributor
185 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery Stores on the Cape

There are 2 Stop and Shops in Sandwich: on on 6A and the other on the corner of Cotuit Road and Quaker Meeting House Rd.

The one on 6A is bigger, cleaner and more organized then the Cotuit Road one but they generally carry the same stuff. In the Sandwich area really the easy choice is Stop and Shop. If you're looking for a more upscale grocery, Roche Bros is in Mashpee, a 15 minute ride (or so depending on traffic) from Sandwich Center. It has the best meats, fish, produce, bread... its a fantastic store. I drive a good 20 minutes to shop there once a week.

Don't buy your fish at Stop and Shop... its not as fresh as at Joe's Lobster and Fish Market which is down at the Sandwich Marina (by the canal). They have fantastic seafood there. Also Sandwich has a Farmers Market on Tuesdays. And Crow Farm is open every day, its on 6A and they grow their own veggies.

Susan

www.UndergroundCapeCod.com

www.CapeCodAirfield.com

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,439 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery Stores on the Cape

OOOPS .. missed the part about staying in Sandwich ...forget about Orleans and P-town ... I couldn't figure out why everybody was posting about Sadnwich ... please forgive me!!!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery Stores on the Cape

Pixieish - I love Roche Bros too!!

Never thought it would only take 20 mins from Sandwich to get there - do you go hwy or back roads

I alwasy stop there on my way to visit friends in the Heights to bring them something or pick up something for us to bring home

We have them up here at home and other stores just cant compete for my business.

Hope they head further down the Cape soon!!

cape cod
Level Contributor
185 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery Stores on the Cape

I don't live in Sandwich any more, I'm now a Millbilly... but its about 20 minutes from either place.

From Sandwich I take Rt. 130 to Great Neck Road which puts you in the Mashpee rotary, so you're right there. From the Mills I take 28 all the way but I go to Roche early to miss the 28 traffic.

The great thing about Roche is they are more upscale then Stop and Shop - great fish, butcher shop and wonderful produce but they have fantastic sales and if you watch them, Roche can be cheaper then Stop and Shop.

Susan

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery Stores on the Cape

I agree - they have wonderful customer service as well with small touches that make for a nice shoping experience.

I always try to support them - They locally offer community meeting rooms in their stores and other civic minded offerings.

not sure if they still do this ....but I know they used to offer some student employees college scholarships.

9. Re: Grocery Stores on the Cape

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2010, 06:16